Any opinions on these molds?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tarranttx

Does anyone have experience with this mold? Thinking of picking this up to make use of some burl cut offs and filling the gaps with a little bit of epoxy. I was looking at the over sized one because I'm cutting the burl pieces with a Japanese hand saw, and the epoxy will cover slight crooked shape. In my head, the epoxy will turn and wood will be exposed at the correct thickness. Thanks!

Kenny Durrant

I haven't used a silicone mold but I have cast hybrid blanks. I'm not familiar with your saw and curious if that's all you have or if that's what you prefer. I use HDPE from Maneater Crafts. The silicone molds are cheaper but don't last as long. Ive cast hundreds if not thousands of blanks with HDPE and the mold bodies look like new. The silicone plugs show wear and I've replaced a few. I also use oversized slots so when I trim the blanks they're 3/4" square or better. So I guess the question is how much are you going to cast. If it's just a few save some money. If it's something your going to want to do often save up and get the HDPE.

Tarranttx

I haven't used a silicone mold but I have cast hybrid blanks. I'm not familiar with your saw and curious if that's all you have or if that's what you prefer. I use HDPE from Maneater Crafts. The silicone molds are cheaper but don't last as long. Ive cast hundreds if not thousands of blanks with HDPE and the mold bodies look like new. The silicone plugs show wear and I've replaced a few. I also use oversized slots so when I trim the blanks they're 3/4" square or better. So I guess the question is how much are you going to cast. If it's just a few save some money. If it's something your going to want to do often save up and get the HDPE.

This is the saw I'm using. I no longer have the means to fund a shop or own equipment. So I'm looking at ways to use the cut offs instead of throwing them out. I have large boxes of burl cut offs that I'll either have to give or throw away. Neither of which I'd like to do haha.

Top Bottom