Any one make canes? little help needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from curlymaplefan

curlymaplefan

I want to make a cane for a sweet older gentleman at Church, can not find harware except at Rockler and I do not like it :(

Where does one find a selection of cane tops? any tricks to macking one

Thanks
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

CSUSA has them. I have one to make for my father but have yet to do so. (Bad me)[V]

Seems pretty straight forward instruction wise. Kit seems better made than the one from Rockler.

Rifleman1776

Or, you can make the handle from other materials like antler or wood and your imagination. Do use the couplers as turning a full length cane is nearly impossible. Just too much whip in a long, slender thing like that. Same with pool cues.

jclark58

I turned one about a year ago for my BIL. I purchased the couplers from CSUSA and also used their brass cane handle coupler (Item 050-7095) and turned my own handle out of the same wood as the shaft of the cane. I wanted something a bit different so I turned the handle on a total of 3 centers, the first 2 to give the handle an oval cross section, the 3rd center to round out the front section to fit in the coupler.

canehandle2.jpg

handlexsection.jpg

Jason

Chuck Key

My brother made this one for me about 15 years ago. He laminated thin strips together bent the top around a coffee can and slightly tapered all four sides toward the tip.

That is a reflector on the tip since I use it daily on my walk and the reflector is picked up in traffic headlights. It is mainly used to fend off dogs and bunny rabbits I encounter while walking.

20071120173951_cane.jpg

Chuckie

I turn canes for my craft sales, and made one for my own use for my Hip Replacement pre and post op condition.

Here are what mine look like, I buy the handles from LV.
IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_8614.jpg

I carved my own from the same wood I turned the cane with. I drilled a 7/8" hole in the handle blank and turned a tenon of the same size for the cane, glued it together and it has been excellent.

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8446.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

Top Bottom