Any helpful information on a shop fox w1836 issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shimcan

I have had my shop fox w1836 for a little over a year now. The issues I have had is basically the speed. The last time I had issues was when.
I was finishing a pen and went to turn the variable speed down so I could turn it off. Then the machine sped up super-fast, so I quickly turned it off. Called shop fox and they sent me a new speed dial and circuit board. Worked fine for a week and then the speed would not register on the readout. Called them again and they sent me a new potentiometer. This was the second time both the circuit board and potentiometer were replaced. Now the speed slows if there is pressure applied. I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong while turning to cause machine issues? I turn pens acrylic pens; I specifically make Diamond Painting Pens and I am self-taught through you tube and trial and error. I am also wondering if maybe my chuck is to heavy? I personally think it is. It's just a generic chuck and is quite heavy. I have a small Nova chuck that's probably 1/3 the weight but can't seem to find the jaws I need for it. Any insight regarding this issue would be quite helpful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
No insight into most of your message; but a Nova chuck is well respected and I am not sure why you can't find jaws to work? What do you have for a chuck and jaws? Suggestions will come!

KMCloonan

Hi - Welcome to the Penturners forum.

I had a similar experience last year with my Laguna lathe - the speed control was acting strange - sometime speeding up, sometime stopping. I received input from this forum that you might want to try (if you have not already) - It was suggested to me to blow out the headstock chamber, where the belt pulley is - that is also where the RPM monitor is - apparently, over time, there was dust buildup in the chamber, and when I blew it out with a can of compressed air (with a straw), I have had no further problems.

Hope this helps.

jttheclockman

First change the chuck. Why are you using such a large heavy chuck .Jaws. Buy them. next that is a 3/4hp motor so not the most robust motor to start with. It is a mini lathe. I would then check the brushes to see if they are wearing well. Then are you using an extension chord to power the unit? Any extra length of wire can add amps to circuit and especially if it is a #14 wire. Are there other things running on that circuit as you operate the lathe? Again any additions like this rob power to the lathe. Do you have 115V to 120 V at the outlet? Lower than that will add amps.

Top Bottom