Any discounts??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for asking John!!

I have often wondered if the membership sees any value in our participation in the bash. This year we are donating two packages to the donation drawing, each valued at over $200. (Total >$400). In addition, we are giving 5-$50 gift certificates as prizes for the contests, another $250.
So, we are giving away over $650. Over the years we have donated over $10,000 along with hundreds of hours of my time as the "prize distribution guy" for several years.

Does the membership see any value to this? Or is everyone far more interested in personal discounts?

We will continue to have weekly specials. Unlike other companies, we resell every major manufacturer--they are NOT generous in their discounts to us, since we actually are competing with our "suppliers". So, no we cannot do "sitewide" discounts. What most customers don't realize is that the first 4-5% of any purchase goes to the credit card or paypal.

Because we combine most products for quantity discounts, larger orders are frequently netting us under 10%.
Looks easy, but giving great pricing takes a toll on running a business--we hope to earn your business with our participation and expertise.
Very interested in feedback on this, I often wonder when other companies who are NEVER on IAP receive "Cheers".

Thanks for asking John!!

I have often wondered if the membership sees any value in our participation in the bash. This year we are donating two packages to the donation drawing, each valued at over $200. (Total >$400). In addition, we are giving 5-$50 gift certificates as prizes for the contests, another $250.
So, we are giving away over $650. Over the years we have donated over $10,000 along with hundreds of hours of my time as the "prize distribution guy" for several years.

Does the membership see any value to this? Or is everyone far more interested in personal discounts?

We will continue to have weekly specials. Unlike other companies, we resell every major manufacturer--they are NOT generous in their discounts to us, since we actually are competing with our "suppliers". So, no we cannot do "sitewide" discounts. What most customers don't realize is that the first 4-5% of any purchase goes to the credit card or paypal.

Because we combine most products for quantity discounts, larger orders are frequently netting us under 10%.
Looks easy, but giving great pricing takes a toll on running a business--we hope to earn your business with our participation and expertise.
Very interested in feedback on this, I often wonder when other companies who are NEVER on IAP receive "Cheers".

You don't have to be a member of the IAP to give great service and get a "CHEER" from someone who thinks they've done right by them. I've also seen "JEERS" for some of those same companies and even some that are members of the IAP. And yes, other vendors do offer discounts on their products i.e. the Woodworkers Club discount through PSI (10% off even "on sale" items), and if you're order is large enough and ask you can also get a discount. I've done it many times with Woodcraft products, just ask, worst they can say is no.

TonyL

My "vote" is to keep doing what you are doing by offering competitive prices all year. I like the weekly sales and that free shipping deal you had once (but is has to be good for you too).

jttheclockman

Gee Ed when I asked this question I did not mean for this to become a personal thing and seems to have struck a chord.

I will answer your question this way and being honest. You bring up a few points that can be reversed too if we asked. First would you like to deal with a business that did not offer great service. The old adage screw me once shame on me and you know the rest. I believe it behooves you to offer great service as it is a smaller business that you run but has grown quiet substantially over the years and basically off the backs of the members here on IAP. I can only imagine the work it takes to keep your business up and running and continue to help others along the way. We get that and I am sure everyone here thanks you for it and would shake your hand if they could including me. As mentioned you do not have to be a member of IAP to get either a cheer or Jeer here and a prime example is the topic about the Bealle chuck that was just brought up. Cheers go out to that company and they are not a member. The list can go on. To me that has nothing to do with the price of eggs. You do not offer everything needed to make pens and other items.

Now you mentioned about the donation of prizes and again this does not go unnoticed and one thing I dislike that has happened over time is the Bash format where the list of DONORS is not posted on the front page like it used to be. Does this make a difference, not sure but it can not hurt. Your generosity to give back is a huge plus and well received. I have seen many times people thanking those who have donated prizes and i know I always did. But again if it were not for IAP and its membership would there be an Exotic Blanks?? That is a question that you have to consider too. So that is a two way question too when you ask does the membership see value in the donations?? Remember this site and its members list is ever changing. What use to be is half the way things were years ago when we started and you of all people should remember the old days.

So to sum this up from my perspective which I did not think was going down this alley when I asked the question, it is your business and you run it the way you see makes the most sense and still gives you a profit. Weather you run site wide sales or selective sales is your business and we as customers will make the choice weather to buy or not. Competing with other vendors is what business is all about especially when you do not corner the market on anything specific. Those same vendors are doing the same as you. Offering the little intangibles is a plus on your side and again does not go unnoticed. I will go on record to say I really asked this question because I am interested in buying a few kits and did not see a sale on them. All I was wondering if it was a possibility that there would be a sale and I would hold off. So please do not take my question or answer to mean anything other than what it was intended to be. Happy Sales.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well stated, JT. Thank you!

Yes, IAP has contributed greatly to Exotics' growth and we are grateful every day!! We will continue to do what we can to support IAP!

Too bad most of the "big guys" don't feel the urge to support IAP, but members patronize them anyway. THAT is what irks me from time to time.

YES, we will be offering our weekly specials--if there is something special you are hoping for, please PM (start a conversation with) me. We often feature products that customers have requested. (This invitation is extended to all members!)

Thanks again for your well-thought out reply!!

rsieracki

Interestingly enough I discoved the IAP from a guy i 'bumped' into at Rockler who made pens when I was first starting out, we had a conversation about transtint and how to dye maple with it..I had no idea what it was before that. Once on the IAP I first heard about Exotics from a 'group buy' .... I continue to buy from Exotics because Dawn and Ed are good people who have always done right by me. Even though there are lots of vendors who sell supplies I like the total package or practically a one stop shop with Exotics..as a matter of fact I came home to 4 bags of Peanut M&M's the other day thoughtfull cushioned by a bunch of blanks and kits.. very thoughtfull of them to pad my M&M's that way if you ask me :cool:

KLJ

Well for my feedback. I found out about you Ed on the IAP. And was confident enough to place an order because of the positive comments here. Personally I have never needed anything that you were not at least a few cents less in price or the same as the others. The amazingly fast shipping, candy, a real person and turner willing to answer questions, knowing I am supporting someone that supports us and gives back makes you my first choice when ordering. As Ron said I like the total package.

Based upon my experiences and what I here from the older generation people don't give positive feedback like they did years ago. It is a part of the times we live in ( II Timothy 3:2 " unthankful"). And it has its influence in every area of our lives.

Thank you Ed "cheers"

Top Bottom