Antler - Dog Chews?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RVA_Tyndall

I thought about buying some deer antlers for pen blanks and saw that you can buy deer antlers as dog chews on Amazon. Has anyone tried making blanks from a source like this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

While this might start a tool war - if your are new to turning antler I would suggest carbide tools (standard edge - not negative rake). You will be able to cut easier and control the tool easier. You can use standard HSS, but you will need some technique.

leehljp

Member Liaison
While this might start a tool war - if your are new to turning antler I would suggest carbide tools (standard edge - not negative rake). You will be able to cut easier and control the tool easier. You can use standard HSS, but you will need some technique.

I agree with you on this. I am usually one who advocates for HSS, but there are definitely times when carbide does specific jobs better. Finess and fineness is usually done with properly sharpened HSS; rock hard and roughing does better with carbide.

RVA_Tyndall

I don't care what tool you use but protect your lungs. The dust does nasty things to your respiratory system. If you don't have a powerful dust collector wear a respirator.

Didn't think of that. I usually don't when making pens. Good tip.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't care what tool you use but protect your lungs. The dust does nasty things to your respiratory system. If you don't have a powerful dust collector wear a respirator.

Didn't think of that. I usually don't when making pens. Good tip.

Something along the line of the lines of "Lung" and "Nose" and "Eyes": Many people, including me went a couple of years or more and suddenly, we got hit with allergies. Some to different kinds of woods, some to bone and antler dust and some (me also) to certain CA finishes. When it hits, it hits hard. Best way to delay it is to (always) use a respirator and face mask/goggles. These allergies sneak up on you at the worst time!

Last edited:

Talltim

We used some petco antler one year when they had their dog chew supply on Black Friday sale. Worked as well as any other. Use carbide to turn it down and skew to finish it up. We hardly ever turn anything with out respirators, dust collection system on and ear protection. Look a little like someone from star wars but we can still breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Talltim

We used some petco antler one year when they had their dog chew supply on Black Friday sale. Worked as well as any other. Use carbide to turn it down and skew to finish it up. We hardly ever turn anything with out respirators, dust collection system on and ear protection. Look a little like someone from star wars but we can still breath.

Correction it was petsmart and not petco where I got the dog chews. To late to use edit post.

Kenny Durrant

A couple of things not mentioned are the kind of antlers and alternate places to get them. I've seen the dog chews and although they would work, I thought they were pricey. Other places to get them would be garage sales or flee markets. Knife supply places carry then as well. I keep an eye out all the time and grab some when I see a deal so I'm not have to pay for what's available at the time. The last thing is that most of the larger antler gets pretty porous and is harder to work with or finish at times. I like the Axis Deer Antler the best. It's solid except for a small hole that runs close to the center of the antler. It is mostly white with shade of grey here and there. I'm not sure of how many shades but I don't think it's 50! Ha Ha!!

sbwertz

I had friends in Northern AZ who gathered antlers and kept them for me...both elk and deer. Unfortunately they moved away, but if you know anyone who lives in deer country, ask them to keep an eye out for shed antlers for you.

RVA_Tyndall

Made my first pen. It looks kind of purple. IMG_2889.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/rvatyndall/

Top Bottom