Another segmented disappointment :(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

I have been trying to get a shadow box illusion on a pen. My first (second actually - the first went in the trash pile) attempt was shown here:

A segmented disappointment

This is my next attempt - which I was really happy with until I notice that I glued one of the pieces in backwards...

Still the contrast is better and since I don't sell my pens it wont hurt the purchase price!

Box illusion 2.jpg
Box Illusion.jpg
Finial.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
My eyes get a 3D look instantly. In the second picture, the upper two look 3D, but the bottom one, which is reversed from the upper two does not have the 3D look.

You are getting there! excellent work.

magpens

@SteveJ

I have a suggestion after having a close look at the third picture . . .
Don't put the same segmented pattern on the cap end . . . I think it distracts from the 3-D effect created by viewing the barrel side.

Maybe leave the cap unpatterned. A plain end, or even the original cap end, might be best.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My, but that is sweet. I understand your concerns, but the visual is excellent, and unless an informed viewer is aware of the intent, it will not be an issue.
I half agree with Mal... The finial (darn tough learning curve to turn) if not a good match may distract; but when it matches - go with it!

Lovely segmenting my friend! Keep playing. ;)

SteveJ

Thank you all for your kind comments.

The finial was probably my best so far but I understand your comments about it being a bit busy.

This was my third attempt (the first was too bad to even finish). I think I will try a wrap around one next (but on a single barrel kit)!

mobyturns

Nice work, we'll forgive the odd glue-up mistake as we've all been there!

I've done these illusions in the past without the veneers between each "box." Will have to scratch through the box(es) of banding blocks to have a look.

Top Bottom