Another Rattlesnake Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Here is a rattlesnake pen I cast myself. The skin is from a smaller snake and the pattern is not lost. I've cast skins from very large snakes and the pattern is so large that identifying the skin is difficult. The wood is a piece of osage orange from a fence post put in the ground by my grandfather in the late 20's or early 30's. Each time I find on of these posts I replace it with a new cedar post. The golden brown of these old O.O. posts is much different from the yellow we know of newly cut O.O. Enjoy and as always, comments welcome. I made three of these Friday and sold them all over the weekend. This is the only one I got to take a picture of.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20053142844_snake%20Osg.%20Orng.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Thanks Lou. The posts are getting scarcek but I have two or three and get about 30 blanks per post, depending on how cracked and decayed the post is. While home this weekend visiting my Dad, we found a huge OO tree that was torn down by a ttornado about 5 yrs ago. Will be checking it out later when the ground is dry. It has been raining here for a few days and the ground is soaked.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Gorgeous pen, Don. That snake looks better in the smaller pattern and the story behind the OO is wonderful.

PenWorks

Very nice pen Don, I need to make more snake skin pens, sold all mine to. But they are a pain. Your combo of wood and skin turned out sharp.

Anthony

its_virgil

Jim,
I've only made them with the slimline kit and half skin and half wood. I charge $45 for it. I have some El Grandes curing that are skin on both halves and I think I will charge $65 for them. I think I could get more, but the skins and wood are not costing me. If I were purchasing skins and woods I would charge more. The blanks that are purchased cost around $20 per set and the cobra may be more.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Great looking pen, Don. May I ask how much you charged for them?

cigarman

Great looking pen Don. I also like the combination of wood and snake skin. The osage orange is one of my favorite woods and I am lucky enouth to have a friend that brings me some cut from old post he finds down in Arkansas.

Rifleman1776

Don, I agree that pen is certainly fine and unique. I, too, like the old OO. I made a small weed pot from a very aged stick that was given to me. Hard wood to turn but a fine end result. That downed tree could be a real find or a bust. Just because it is dead and down doesn't mean it is ready for turning. You might have to seal the ends and wait a long time for curing. And, make sure there are no worms in it. Microwaving is the only way I know to kill the worms, then you are still left with holes.

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Thanks Lou. The posts are getting scarcek but I have two or three and get about 30 blanks per post, depending on how cracked and decayed the post is. While home this weekend visiting my Dad, we found a huge OO tree that was torn down by a ttornado about 5 yrs ago. Will be checking it out later when the ground is dry. It has been raining here for a few days and the ground is soaked.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Gorgeous pen, Don. That snake looks better in the smaller pattern and the story behind the OO is wonderful.

JimGo

Don, that looks fantastic! Like the others, I like the story about the wood; to me, it gives the pen more character. What process did you use to cast the skin? The one from the main PenTurners.org page?

its_virgil

I glued the skin to the brass tube and cast it in polyester resin. After turning I sanded 220 through MM 12000 and polished with HUT plaastic polish. I actually put a coat of CA on resin after the MM and sanded it to MM 12000 also with the HUT plastic polish. don't knbow why I CAed the resin, just wanted to try it. I Do CA on antler also.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Don, that looks fantastic! Like the others, I like the story about the wood; to me, it gives the pen more character. What process did you use to cast the skin? The one from the main PenTurners.org page?

Darley

Hi Don couldn't find a supplier yet for goanna skin ( still looking )but find one for Australian Snake ( I'm on the run now [:D] ) will have to go to the main page to know how to cast in PR.

Serge

JimGo

Serge,
If you do a quick search in the forum, you'll find a few other threads about turning snake skin. Some people indicated that CA and some other glues may impact the color of the skin, so just be forewarned. Good luck, and please be sure to post your results!!!

its_virgil

Serge,
I used CA to glue the skin, but as mentioned, the CA seems to discolor some skins. I think it may be reactions to the chemicals used to tan the skins. I soak the skin in DNA for an hour or so prior to gluing. The DNA dires very fast. Maybe you could use a salt-croc. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Darley
<br />Don very nice pen, what kind of glue did you use to glue the skin on to the brass tube?. on day I will have to try those casting pens with Goanna skin[:)]

Serge

Darley

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Serge,
I used CA to glue the skin, but as mentioned, the CA seems to discolor some skins. I think it may be reactions to the chemicals used to tan the skins. I soak the skin in DNA for an hour or so prior to gluing. The DNA dires very fast. Maybe you could use a salt-croc. Good luck.Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks Don you beat me on my post, for the salt croc why not but will have to do a custom made nid for the tip of is tail, [:D]

What is DNA? [?] ( Surely not human DNA )

Serge

JimGo

Serge,
DNA = Denatured alcohol. For those who haven't seen it, I started a thread for all the acronyms thrown around here. Please feel free to contribute! http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4227

its_virgil

Thanks all. I have some other skins ready to cast....not rattlesnake. My first try at non-rattlesnake skins. If they work I will post pictures in a few days....They should look nice.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom