Another Newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

Hi All,
Introduced to this forum by my son, Timebandit, when he gave me a used Jet lathe for my birthday. Haven't actually turned anything as of yet. For some reason my wife won't let me do it in the house.??!?? Go figure. I hope to have a place set up outside in my storage shed sometime soon. Lots of interesting stuff I have been reading here. Particularly interested in doing some casting and Celtic knot type stuff. Looks like lots of knowledgeable people here and I can only hope to do as well as my son has, who seems to have turned out pretty good in spite of his parents. Good to meet you all and look forward to the fun of rounding some wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Randy to the addiction. Be sure and check out the library link in the top right of the page. There you will find a treasure trove of good information on all pen turning. Any questions you have, just post them and someone will have an answer to it or many answers, most of them different. Grab some wood and make shavings. Take pictures and post them also. The mantra here, "No picts, didn't happen!" You'll hear that from time to time, but most of all, welcome to the IAP. Knowledge for free.
Charles

Atherton Pens

Welcome from Georgia.
Lot's of great folks here and tons of information! If you can't find it in the library, just ask someone here will point you in the right direction.
Welcome and enjoy.

its_virgil

Welcome from Wichita Falls. We look forward to seeing your work and learning from your experiences. My shop is open if you are ever in the Wichita Falls area and want to visit and talk, or turn, pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Timebandit

Hey Dad,guess i missed your into,sorry,but i looks like you were welcomed by all.It was good to see you and the grandparents today,and be safe on your trip tomorrow.

Oh yeah,and thanks for the wood:wink:................

By the way guys,when i showed up today,what did he have waiting for me.3 or 4 nice two toned mesquite blanks,a couple of nice apple blanks and chunks,and what else????????
A mesquite burl that he went and cut from the tree right in front of me!!!:biggrin:

Thanks Dad!

And he wasnt kidding about MOM not letting him turn in the house....He has it set up in the office next to the computer.He could literally turn and type at the same time!!!(not that that the safest way to learn to turn)

Love you Dad
Justin

Rounder

Hey Randy, Just checking to see if you got that lathe turning yet?

Oh yea, it's turning! But it is still in the house so all I can do is watch it turn, lol! She still won't let me put a tool to it in the house. I mean, I'm being nice and doing the honey do's and all that good stuff, but alas, it still ain't happening.:beat-up:

Rounder

Hey Dad,guess i missed your into,sorry,but i looks like you were welcomed by all.It was good to see you and the grandparents today,and be safe on your trip tomorrow.

Oh yeah,and thanks for the wood:wink:................

By the way guys,when i showed up today,what did he have waiting for me.3 or 4 nice two toned mesquite blanks,a couple of nice apple blanks and chunks,and what else????????
A mesquite burl that he went and cut from the tree right in front of me!!!:biggrin:

Thanks Dad!

And he wasnt kidding about MOM not letting him turn in the house....He has it set up in the office next to the computer.He could literally turn and type at the same time!!!(not that that the safest way to learn to turn)

Love you Dad
Justin

Good to see you and your boss too kiddo! And you better not use all that burl for yourself!!!:mad: But I'm sure you will share. It will be neat to see how that burl looks after you cut it up with that new bandsaw you got for your b'day. Glad ya'll got home OK and will let you know when I get back with the new ride. Maybe we might come down next weekend and turn some in your garage. At least I can get started there! Mom's not in charge there, LOL:biggrin:

Rounder

Welcome from Wichita Falls. We look forward to seeing your work and learning from your experiences. My shop is open if you are ever in the Wichita Falls area and want to visit and talk, or turn, pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am actually coming through there Sunday going to Amarillo area with my parents then back Monday with a car I am purchasing from the wife of a cousin who passed right before the new year. I may stop if my time frame isn't too tight on the way back Monday. If you will PM an address, it would be neat to see and get ideas from others. Thanks for the offer, even if I don't get to stop.

And I appreciate all the welcome's from every one. Timebandit said this was a cool place.:cool:

Top Bottom