Another new guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aldwardo

Hi, I am just joining in on the pen turning fun. My dad bought a mini-lathe years ago and never took it out of the box. About a year ago I started turning some stuff for fun, mostly shave brushes. I am obsessed with my shave hobby. I just got in a starter set so I can work on some pens. Made a couple slim lines the other day and I think it is safe to say I will be doing a lot more of this. I just wanted to say hi, I imagine I will be getting to know you all better soon!

edit: I should add, up until now I only use Pilot G2s. I did some searching and found that with modification they can be used in many of the rollerball kits. I am planning on ordering some Sierra button clicks to try, but if anyone knows of any kits that take G2 refills without modification I would appreciate that info! Thank you!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

Welcome from PA Rodd. If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask me or anyone else on the board. This is a very good site with good people. I have learned a lot from many people here and look forward to learning more.
Dont forget to check out the site library where you will find a plethora of information.

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
Welcome. I think you'll like pen turning even more than your shave hobby.

The shave brushes are way cool, but you will find being able to share something that even more people can utilize is that much more rewarding. Especially when you start showing people things they have never seen before, like what you will find offered in the classified section of this forum.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Rodd,

Enjoy the maddness here.

I am including a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish to pens to tools to methods etc. It is not in detail or comprehensive but a good overview of pen turning. I am sure you already know much of this. However, since you are new on this forum, I don't want to leave you out in getting the link.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

aldwardo

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I was doing some reading yesterday, I am having a very slight out of round problem, I think it was caused by tightening down the tail stock too much, but I got reading about turning between centers. I think I am going to give it a go. I still have the stock live center, so I am going to have to replace that anyway, and am planning on ordering a dead center with it. JohnyCNC has been very helpful with advice.

I have kind of decided I need to start with one model of pen for a while to span out some of the costs. I have no intention of ever selling pens, so that makes it hard to front. I think they will make great gifts though. I think I am going to go for the Sierra, mostly button clicks. I will finish up the rest of my slimlines on the mandrel. Does anyone have any experience with Lee Valley Sierras? Price seems decent, is the quality the same?
Thanks again everyone. I am very happy to be here!
Rodd

Top Bottom