Another New Guy From Houston

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penfancy

I'm glad I found my way here to this forum. Little by little I will have lots of questions but so far there's so much info to take in. I'll have to bring a lunch, sit down, and pop open a cold one while I go through all the threads.
So far my history has been a "pen fancy", always searching out the pen with the smoothest ink and the coolest look. Most times I'd go to the office stores and mill around.
My wife got me a mandrel and a few slim lines out of a Rockler catalog for Christmas. You know, when you have the opportunity to tell her what you really want, just place circles in the catalog and leave it out for her to find.
I've had an 80's lathe about two years prior collecting dust in the garage. I wanted to use it but didn't have anything to make. Now my wife doesn't see me very much;) The brand is KFF. I believe it stands for Ken Fung Fu, made in Korea. It takes a #1 mandrel, has a 12" swing, and a 48" flat tube aluminum bed. The tail stock is kinda tricky on it though. There is no way to change out the live center. The bearing went out once and I had to bust it all apart and press a skateboard bearing back in.
All right. Long intro. I'll post some pics of this lathe later.
Once again, it's just good to be here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Hi James. Welcome to the IAP. There is definitely a ton to learn here. Enjoy the site.

Looking forward to those pix. We Love Pictures.. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jocat54

Welcome James, there are a lot of talented folks here to learn from, I know they have taught me alot already with a long way to go.

penfancy

Hey Monty,
I'm in the Houston Heights. I'd offer up my small garage shop for a chapter get together but I'd have to talk to my wife first. No AC in there and the mosquitos are getting bad too.
Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Last edited:

Parson

James, looks like we're next door neighbors and didn't know it.

I live in the Houston Heights too! On 21st street near Shepherd. We should definitely meet up. I'd be happy to show you what I've made thus far and what I'm up to now in my garage without AC ... just like yours!

phillywood

welcome to IAP. sit back and enjoy the eide. BTW youguys inHouston try and see if you an squeez some oil out of those woods though. and whoknows you may find some oil in those washed up logs that come ashore.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from sunny southern California.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

phillywood

I think it must be Manny starting up allthis interest in Houston. Before you know youguys can hae united penturners of Houston. Well, as long as we can keep it a live fun competition.

penfancy

Thank you CSue for the links! I think the Houston area should get together , at least for BBQ and a beer if nothing else. I'm meeting with Parson tomorrow. If no kids get sick on me last minute. They have a habit of doing that. I'm anxious to meet many of you. Everything I've learned so far has been trial and error and Barry Gross' workbook. If any of you have looked at my photos you'll know that my lathe is kinda (not the best...expletive). I've got a hankerin' for that Delta Midi.

Last edited:

phillywood

I thought someone mentioned here that if you throw a pwnturning party or get togther the guys from surronding town come for free you provide the BBQ. there is somwwher ein the books I guess, or I am pushing my luck. but in any events youguys put on the meeting and some of us form sna antonio area might come. I think Manny was up for it.

Top Bottom