Another glue-up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timdaleiden

Status
Not open for further replies.

timdaleiden

Here is another glue-up. It is Figured Maple and bloodwood. It is not all that original, but I think it turned out nice. I also made a custom press on finial that is still drying in the shop. I am not sure how it will look on this pen, but if it looks good, I will post the revised version too.

Image Insert:
200482823042_Rings.jpg

34.43KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

Thanks Tom,

I am not crazy about how the CB looks in the picture, but in person it looks better. Maybe the new finial will give it a more balanced look.

daledut

Very nice, I love to see folks trying new stuff. I used a similar criss cross look when I made my all wood fake cigar pen a while back.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2004828144914_wood%20cigar%20pen3.jpg
<br /> 36.35&nbsp;KB

timdaleiden

Thanks Dale,

I remember your pen from the PMG album. I think there are several other members that have used this glue-up technique.

I may try doing mini-rings for another optional CB.

Always something new to try.

M

Mudder

WOW!

Both Tim and Dale have given me something to work toward. Those are beautiful works.

daledut

Bev,
I can't post photos since I didn't take any before I turned it, but my technique is pretty simple.
I cut the maple blank at an angle. Glue the 2 pieces back together with a flat piece of mahogany in between. After it dried, I cut the blank at the same angle across the other direction. And again glued the two pieces back together with a flat piece of mahogany between.
I then sand a couple flat sides on the blank so it will fit in my drilling vise. Cut to size, drill as normal.
The turning process causes the "straight" angles to appear as oval loops.
It is a pretty cool effect because when I first did it I did not know what it would look like when finished.
I think I want to do another one using thinner strips like Tim's pen. It really looks nice.

timdaleiden

Here is a slightly revised version. I like this CB much better. I tried the other finial, and it didn't fit the look of the pen. I'll give it one more try though.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200482921833_Copy%20of%20Ring3.jpg
<br /> 30.43&nbsp;KB.

timdaleiden

Bev,

I did it pretty much the same way as Dale. In fact, I think I read his description of how to do it some time ago.

I used a protractor (I think it was about 23 degrees) to mark lines on the half blanks, measuring from each end at a fairly equal distance. I made a double set of lines about 1/8 in. apart. I did the same thing going in the other direction. At this point you end up with a big "X" on each half blank.

I cut the slabs of Bloodwood a bit over 1/8 in. thick on my band saw. I then used the belt sander to get them as flat as possible.

I used the band saw to carefully cut in between the two lines in one direction. I then took them to the belt sander and brought the cut right down to the line on each piece. This left a perfect??? 1/8 gap in the blank. I used thick CA to glue the slab to one side, and after it set, I CA glued the other side back on, making sure all of the lines going in the other direction joined again.

I then repeated this process for the lines going in the other direction.

By carefully removing the 1/8 in of material, and then filling that void with 1/8 in. material, you can keep the background material grain in line.

Keeping the “X†lined up perfect is also important.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Give it a try, and show us the results. [:)]

timdaleiden

Thanks Tom,

I appreciate it. [:)]

And thanks to you, this should be my 200th post, earning me one more star...unless Jeff has changed the rules on me.

daledut

Version 2 is even better. Very nice!! I really like the wood combo too.

You make me jelous, I have been working so much along with taking care of my wife after surgery, I haven't had much time in the shop lately.

fhinde

About a year ago I made a slimline with fiber washers as the accents but did not use nowhere the angle as Tim and Dale used (diameter of washers limited the angle). I used about the same techniques.

Cedar%20with%20rings2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom