Another Celtic knot experiment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

4 different colors inside the knots. Main 4 colors, bubinga, Purple Heart, maple, and red heart, of the blank are also inside the knots. I was thinking all 4 sides would each have the 4 colors inside the knots. This wasn't the case though. Two opposing sides do have 4 color knots, the other two opposing sides have two colors. Glued the blanks with Dap rapid fuse. Seriously guys, this is some amazing glue. These pens were just figments of my imagination at 8:00 this morning. I drilled, glued in the tubes and squared them 30 minutes after gluing them up. I rather like these. I wish I would have used two color inlay, but I wasn't sure this would even work. The inlay is Osage orange. Knots were cut at 55 degrees and the pens are Cortona's.
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1856.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Well Ken I know you are experimenting and trying new things and that is always a good thing because it can lead to some real nice pens. My opinion, use acrylics for vibrant colors. Wood is limited unless you dye the woods. Not a fan of these. I told you I was working on an idea and that was to base the knot off the olympic symbol. https://www.bing.com/images/search?...&form=EQNAMI&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

To convert that into knot pattern. Just too much on my plate so if you want to take a shot at it go for it. I also have another idea but will hold that one to the vest because I do really want to give it a try someday. Good luck.

KenB259

Well Ken I know you are experimenting and trying new things and that is always a good thing because it can lead to some real nice pens. My opinion, use acrylics for vibrant colors. Wood is limited unless you dye the woods. Not a fan of these. I told you I was working on an idea and that was to base the knot off the olympic symbol. https://www.bing.com/images/search?...&form=EQNAMI&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

To convert that into knot pattern. Just too much on my plate so if you want to take a shot at it go for it. I also have another idea but will hold that one to the vest because I do really want to give it a try someday. Good luck.

I really like them, they are probably a little more vibrant in person. I hear what you're saying about acrylics, but they are just not my cup of tea. I'm a wood guy.

jttheclockman

I really like them, they are probably a little more vibrant in person. I hear what you're saying about acrylics, but they are just not my cup of tea. I'm a wood guy.

I hear you. Good luck as you push the Celtic Knot. Have one coming up in one of my next pens I am working on. Just finished casting the top blank for this pen last night. Needs to cure and will spin soon.

PreacherJon

I like this... always try new things. Next time, try thinner knots... might make it pop more?

peter1958

Very nice knots, what finish did you use?
Here's my latest celtic knot pen

Attachments

• 20201223_184414.jpg
    20201223_184414.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 130

ramaroodle

Late to the party...
Good work. Did you follow the "alternating cut" system we all discussed before? I see the X looks good with all 4 arms on each side going either under or over the circle.

Top Bottom