Another Apollo - having fun with these

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KateHarrow

KateHarrow

So these new black kits got me pretty excited. This pen is my Fire On The Mountain resin mix with the black stainless Apollo - which personally I think made for a great match

Oh and I should mention this is officially the first black pen kit made in the USA! So that's kinda neat

1634627C-9BBE-43AA-BE40-D26202A3CFC6.jpeg

40B3D3FE-AB6F-4F6B-A6EF-74BD884EBAC8.jpeg
1D6CEADC-E632-4BC9-B1C6-4638E3BE4970.jpeg
371CFEA9-F3D6-4AD4-A4F5-F9AAB8B3EF44.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Very nice, and a what a beautiful blank! I love the slimmer cap, the black stainless, and that it is made in the USA. Is the color blended right in with the metal as opposed to a coating?

KateHarrow

Very nice, and a what a beautiful blank! I love the slimmer cap, the black stainless, and that it is made in the USA. Is the color blended right in with the metal as opposed to a coating?
Technically pvd is still considered a coating but it's not a traditional plating. It's applied at high temps under vacuum in an industrial lab. It's incredibly durable as well

tgsponge1

Very Nicely done! I love the black on that blank. It is a very nice combo, and both made in USA.

I wish I could get my cap and bottom to line up as perfect as yours do. I always end up with the metal ring showing no matter how hard I try.

UPDATE- Ya got me again Kate! I had to go and purchase this combo for myself!!!

Hahahahaaaaa Pedro

Last edited:

KateHarrow

Very Nicely done! I love the black on that blank. It is a very nice combo, and both made in USA.

I wish I could get my cap and bottom to line up as perfect as yours do. I always end up with the metal ring showing no matter how hard I try.
Let's video chat about that when you have time. Here's my process:

Before I drill, i true up the surfaces to they're flat

-I glue the body first and let it mostly cure. Wipe away excess epoxy
-Screw the cap insert on and apply epoxy to the insert
-work the cap blank onto the glued up insert, wiping excess epoxy as you do.
-once the cap is on, you may need a clamp to press it all the way to the body
- keep an eye on the epoxy you mixed up. When it starts to cure, unscrew the cap from the body so they don't glue themselves together

This gets you the right depth every time. If you're feeling a bit gunshy, you can press the insert slightly further in once the cap is unscrewed

Mike P

I ordered my black kits last weekend and both of your posts have me really excited for them. Those two pens you've made look awesome!!

tgsponge1

Let's video chat about that when you have time. Here's my process:

Before I drill, i true up the surfaces to they're flat

-I glue the body first and let it mostly cure. Wipe away excess epoxy
-Screw the cap insert on and apply epoxy to the insert
-work the cap blank onto the glued up insert, wiping excess epoxy as you do.
-once the cap is on, you may need a clamp to press it all the way to the body
- keep an eye on the epoxy you mixed up. When it starts to cure, unscrew the cap from the body so they don't glue themselves together

This gets you the right depth every time. If you're feeling a bit gunshy, you can press the insert slightly further in once the cap is unscrewed
Thanks Kate, I will give it a shot when my next batch is delivered.

Top Bottom