Anchorseal or paint?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I sprung for a Jet DC-650 on sale with free shipping. Can't pass up a bargain! I need to re-arrange my small shop to make room for the DC. I can move some wood out of the shop to a storage building. I have a small quantity of Anchorseal which should suffice for the few pieces I will be moving. Some of the wood has been in the shop/basement for several years so it should be fairly dry. Which is better: Anchorseal or latex paint? Obviously paint is cheaper. TIA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

I sprung for a Jet DC-650 on sale with free shipping. Can't pass up a bargain! I need to re-arrange my small shop to make room for the DC. I can move some wood out of the shop to a storage building. I have a small quantity of Anchorseal which should suffice for the few pieces I will be moving. Some of the wood has been in the shop/basement for several years so it should be fairly dry. Which is better: Anchorseal or latex paint? Obviously paint is cheaper. TIA.
Anchorseal in my opinion. If you buy it in a five-gallon bucket it is cheaper per gallon than paint.

Woodchipper

Anchorseal in my opinion. If you buy it in a five-gallon bucket it is cheaper per gallon than paint.
Thanks. Looked at Woodcraft; $64 per gallon. Quart was about $18. Go figure. WC didn't sell 5 gallon buckets. Lowe's and HD sometimes have odd lots of paint on special; wrong color, wife wanted something different, etc.

MRDucks2

Paint has worked OK but quality and need to re-coat seem to vary for me, but I use old left over paint.

Anchorseal works well. I have made the homemade version widely available online and it also works well for around $20 a gallon.

However, I have often used older or leftover Tightbond wood glue, which is my go to glue. In all honesty, you can often find it for around $20 a gallon, you don't have to mix it, it keeps well and works well to seal the wood.

PreacherJon

Thanks. Looked at Woodcraft; $64 per gallon. Quart was about $18. Go figure. WC didn't sell 5 gallon buckets. Lowe's and HD sometimes have odd lots of paint on special; wrong color, wife wanted something different, etc.
I ordered mine... can't remember where. It's been a few years and I still have 3 gallons.

MedWoodWorx

Paint has worked OK but quality and need to re-coat seem to vary for me, but I use old left over paint.

Anchorseal works well. I have made the homemade version widely available online and it also works well for around $20 a gallon.

However, I have often used older or leftover Tightbond wood glue, which is my go to glue. In all honesty, you can often find it for around $20 a gallon, you don't have to mix it, it keeps well and works well to seal the wood.
i wouldn't use my titebond woodglue for this purpose;its too expensive. I find that ordinary cheap woodglue works great. One thing however:when its time to turn the piece, the surface is too hard and i need to resharpen my chisel too often. has anyone had a similar experience?is it because i used a cheap glue?cheers

Woodchipper

PJ, Woodcraft is about 30 miles away. Easy to visit as I have doctor's appointments nearby. I still have some AS but need to see how much as it's been a while since I used it. Now that I think (it hurts!) of it, some of the wood in my shop was in my old storage building and should already have AS on it. Will scratch with my thumbnail to see.

JimB

I don't think you need to seal the wood at all if I understand correctly. You anchor seal wood when it is fresh cut and green (wet). You seal the ends because the end grain ends will dry faster than the side grain and therefore moves at different rates and cracks.

Woodchipper

I don't think you need to seal the wood at all if I understand correctly. You anchor seal wood when it is fresh cut and green (wet). You seal the ends because the end grain ends will dry faster than the side grain and therefore moves at different rates and cracks.
I'm aware of sealing the ends only. As mentioned earlier, I think most of the wood is already sealed with AS. Now ot find room in the new storage building which is already too small.

Top Bottom