Ambrosia maple in a Woodcraft Gold Retro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello All
Here is a nice petite pen, a Woodcraft retro. The Blank is called Ambrosia Maple for the Ambrosia beetle that bores in the tree. The blank that Jim Burr sent me had a few holes in it and I left them in when I cut the blank. If you look the of the pen near the clip you'll see a hold that I had to fill as it went all the way to the tub it showed up while I was turning. I used CA and shaving to fill it in. I wanted to leave it but as close as it was to the end of the tube I thought it might cause some problems. It's a nice wood to turn and finish, it turned somewhat like a burl with both hard and softer area in the blank. I think Evelyn will keep this pen which is ok since she did pick it out. Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like that Dan! I have made some bowls and platters from heavily streaked Ambrosia maple - also a fair bit of spalting. They were a real pain due to the torn grains (I'll blame the woods vs my poor skills...) :tongue: But the fine black streaks are very cool.

I have turned a lot of buckeye and most of what I have had open holes - at times I simply leave them (unless like you had the hole extends to to tube) and at other times use CA/shavings to fill. Buckeye is a favorite of mine to turn for pens. Can't say it's an Ohio state thing as most of the Buckeye comes from the high elevation pine forests in California/Oregon (I believe).

Nice Pen!

Jim Burr

Banned
Well done sir!! That blank came from Michigan, cut from a really old tree that a friend has in his mill. You did it proud!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the great comments, I hope I can keep up the standards I seam to have set for myself and that you have come to expect from me. I guess I the shouldn't say anything about two acrylic blanks I cracked while drilling or the wall street ii click that I mess up by pressing the finial/clip assy. into the same in as the threaded insert was pressed and if I don't tell you about those things you'll never know so I wont say anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom