Ambrosia Maple Bowl w/ 3 Stitches

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Lathemaster

Lathemaster

Railrider120 asked about turning a bowl from a tree crotch. I don't have any before pictures for this bowl but I have it's mirror twin to turn yet and I will take some shots as I process that half of the billet.

This is Ambrosia Maple 7" in diameter at the rim and 2" at the base. Bowl is 3" tall and has a nominal wall thickness of 3/8".

3 Walnut stitches are in the limb inclusions for strength and looks. Finish is 3 coats of Watco Danish Oil and a top coat of Waterlox Tung oil. After 3 days curing the bowl was buffed and waxed.

2008318214857_StitchedBowla640x480.jpg

2008318214932_StitchedBowlb640x480.jpg

Thanks for looking
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lathemaster

Thanks for the comments

The process for adding stitches to a turning was demonstrated in Feb at our turning club meeting. The process is used by Jerry Kermode a world renown woodturner - see his work at http://www.jerrykermode.com/. If you ever get a chance to see his demos or his work don't miss it.

Anyway the slots for the stitches are cut using a biscuit joiner and the stitches themselves are made from thin stock walnut and shaped to fit. Then they are CA glued into the slots about half way through the second turning.

The bowl blank was originally turned green and then dried for 4 weeks in a brown paper grocery bag. Remounted on the lathe, turned, stitched and turned to final shape.

Cheers and keep the chips flying.
Mike

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Looks great, I got an ambrosia maple bowl sitting in a cardboard box about ready to take out and put back on the lathe. I hope mine looks as good.

Top Bottom