Amboyna burl Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CjG78

CjG78

G'day!
Recently turned this ultra cigar and the piece of timber was out of this world pretty! On the sapwood side, the heartwood is alot darker and more brown than the red side which looks lovely when you rotate the pen in your fingers. The blank was just under 14 mm thick so I wanted to utilise as much of it as I could, using a 10 mm drill bit for the cigar.
Finished with 8 coats of thin and 4 coats of medium CA. A few blemishes but overall very happy with this ultra cigar, which will go into my exotic pen case

Attachments

• 20210119_180742.jpg
    20210119_180742.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 20210119_180813.jpg
    20210119_180813.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 20210119_180755.jpg
    20210119_180755.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 314
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Having seem many spectacular pens ,this rates up there with them. We often use the term two tone when fortunate to have exciting colour and patterns through a pen ie when sapwood abounds,this one has it in spades IMHO.I spent quite some time on the phone,Casey is located 400 miles from my home when I had the good fortune to see this pen for the first time,we have an affinity for first class timber ,like minded in the pursuit of the very best. Bear this in mind my good friend has only been making pens a relative short time and his finishing is superior, the joins above reproach. He is a great alround humble bloke.Proud to call him my friend. Just before Christmas I drove down for four days when we went on a timber hunt and sharing time met some fantastic people and found ever so precious timber. My family objected to my solo journey,travelled almost nonstop for 7 1/2 hrs and felt at 86 yrs twas a wonderful experience. No I did not go empty handed,sharing is great experience. This friendship developed after a pen swap to another turner a year ago on a facebook forum Casey helped me through the communication side of showing and swapping pens. Gratefull to have this hobby and meeting so many wonderfull people.

Peter.

David350

Wonderful pen, I usually try to avoid blanks with sapwood but after seeing how it really compliments the clip, I may have to change my thinking. Its amazing how an outstanding blank can make a modest (cost) pen look like a premium writing instrument.

Top Bottom