Amazing what you can do with nice wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWK5150

Well heres what I did with a few pieces of wood. Heres what I start with. Piece of curly maple sorry dont have purpleheart or brazilian rosewood right now to add to the pic.

20062835543_DSC00540.jpg

Here is what you end up with lots of time effort and work. Curly maple with purpleheart laminant with brazilian rosewood fingerboards. Finish is tung oil that I hand rub out when finished. Fingerboard will be oiled but still bare in picture.

20062835758_DSC00542.jpg

2006284039_DSC00543.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DWK5150

Originally posted by sptfr43
<br />wow,that is beautiful!. Do you sell those, the whole guitar or keep for yourself?

I build the entire guitar and yes they usually are for sale once in a while I keep one of them. I build them as people place a order for them but if Im bored Ill get started on one just to pass the times. Body, neck and Ive just started building my own pickups. Now I need to just start making my own bridges and tuners and Ill be set.

DWK5150

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Very impressive work so far, Don. I guess I forgot we had a luthier in our midst.

I dont know that I would call myself a luthier yet. Ive screwed up lots of expensive blanks but I guess thats the name of the game.

DWK5150

Originally posted by chigdon
<br />Do you have any pictures of your completed guitars?

Chris

I have pictures of a couple of them on my computer. Ill try and put up a couple of them. Take a look at this. I posted this a while ago.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9925

DWK5150

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Wonderful Don

I always thought the fret board was left unfinished.

Some people do leave them unfinished but I use a oil on the wood you just wipe it on and wipe it off it doesnt put a hard finihs or anyting on it just makes them look tons better.

pete00

Looks really nice nice don.

Heres a story you may find funny. In the 60,s while i was in service, i bought a Gibson.
Sunburst finish, dual pickup etc. I think i paid a couple hundred dollars for it. Some where in the 80's went to a store that carried a lot of items, and traded it for a CB radio. Yes you know whats comming..... found out the day after he sold it for 2500.....every once in a while i see them for 3-4000....something about a limited run Les Paul.....

dont even want to talk about my 57 chev i sold for 100.00 either.[:(][:(]

Doghouse

Here is something that will make you drool!
http://www.grizzly.com/sbguitar/sbguitar.aspx?serial=009&photo=1

Outstanding work, Curley Maple and Curley Koa

DWK5150

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Here is something that will make you drool!
http://www.grizzly.com/sbguitar/sbguitar.aspx?serial=009&photo=1

Outstanding work, Curley Maple and Curley Koa

Oh yes I have seen them before. I get the catalog and he always puts his newest one in there and his inlays he does are top notch!! I havent gotten any where near that good with my inlays yet but someday I hope to be. I really like serial no. 7 that is just a fantastic piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom