Am I missing Something??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Just curious if I am missing an opportunity or maybe others are too when it comes to selling blanks. Is there that large of a market for already turned and finished pen blanks.?? I am talking turned to fit a certain kit and finished with a top coat finish weather CA, Poly or something other. And if so who is buying them?? I can understand pen turners buying precast blanks because they do not have that capability but if you are a pen turner you should be able to turn a piece of wood. Precast resin blanks come in unfinished form and you get the pleasure of turning to your desired look. Maybe if they have labels cast on them but again this is not rocket science and even pen turners have that ability to make decals. Then when they get the blank it is a matter of pushing components on the kit. Why not just sell the entire pen with kit and all?? If you are requesting a certain blank that is premade, why not request the kit to go with it?? This way you can adjust fit because we all know not every kit is made the same way. Some kits may have more plating and or the fittings just maybe off slightly and that is why we measure with calipers when doing pens if you are going to be a good pen maker. Just kicking this around some because I have seen this here and on FB and it got me wondering some. Thanks for the responses.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I personally have not seen them. I don't see the point at all. If you're going to buy a completely finished blank, ready to press on, why not just buy a pen from someone else. I have a dislike for the practice of anyone presenting someone else's work as their own.

SteveJ

Although it doesn't seem to me that experienced pen turners would want to do that, I suppose it is possible that someone who doesn't feel their pens are up to snuff could buy a pre-finished blank to resell once attached to a kit if they had an order requesting one. Another time an inexperienced maker might do that is when under a time pressure after experiencing multiple failures, so in frustration they buy a finished blank. Not something I would recommend - but under some circumstances I can understand it.

It's not quite the same, but I've done a few of the laser inlay pens and always feel a little strange about it. They generally go together easily, are pre-turned to almost finished size - they take me hardly any time compared to even fairly simple segmenting - yet people request them. But since I don't have the ability to do what Kallenshaan does I go ahead and buy his kits. (I had the opportunity to visit his "shop" and see what he does and it is pretty amazing.) Still when I use one of those kits I sort of feel like I've cheated and the satisfaction of creating is missing.

PenPal

I pace myself and make purely as a hobby so this is not a problem for me,however commercially short cuts look more attractive where you present a product for sale time can become the essence ,purely said selling does not infer you made it,its called retailing that we would seek.

Peter.

KenB259

I pace myself and make purely as a hobby so this is not a problem for me,however commercially short cuts look more attractive where you present a product for sale time can become the essence ,purely said selling does not infer you made it,its called retailing that we would seek.

Peter,
Very true, My answer was based on pen making as a hobby, not as a commercial endeavor.

KenB259

Although it doesn't seem to me that experienced pen turners would want to do that, I suppose it is possible that someone who doesn't feel their pens are up to snuff could buy a pre-finished blank to resell once attached to a kit if they had an order requesting one. Another time an inexperienced maker might do that is when under a time pressure after experiencing multiple failures, so in frustration they buy a finished blank. Not something I would recommend - but under some circumstances I can understand it.

It's not quite the same, but I've done a few of the laser inlay pens and always feel a little strange about it. They generally go together easily, are pre-turned to almost finished size - they take me hardly any time compared to even fairly simple segmenting - yet people request them. But since I don't have the ability to do what Kallenshaan does I go ahead and buy his kits. (I had the opportunity to visit his "shop" and see what he does and it is pretty amazing.) Still when I use one of those kits I sort of feel like I've cheated and the satisfaction of creating is missing.
Most of us though do not, nor ever will have the equipment or no how, to produce those inlay kits. I've never made one, just not my thing, but I certainly do not look down on anyone that makes them. They are awesome looking pens. That's one of the things I like about this hobby is you can go down so many avenues.

jttheclockman

Now lets not get confused. Inlay kits and I have done some, require you put the kit together and glue it plus sand and put a finish on them. I have no problem selling those but as said when pen turners if that who buys these premade blanks sells and claims they made the pen are falsely portraying themselves and shortchanging the maker of the blank. I classify inlay kits with blanks like watch parts and label casting that was done but sold in block form so you have to shape and finish. I understand those because as mentioned not everyone is equipped to do things like that.

I am just putting this question out there to maybe give others another avenue if it is a plausible venture.

Charlie_W

I would simply list the maker of the blank as an additional selling point. I never would consider claiming someone else's work as mine.
I do think using a finished ready to mount blank(when the technique is not in my wheelhouse) can make for an awesome gift when the blank pertains to the recipient's personal hobby/passion.
I would rather go this route than using some of the themed pen kits we have available.

If you make it and it is top quality, someone will buy it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
John, something in your question makes me think you see something deeper that others have not thought about.

To me, it comes down to - Where is the profit? Is there enough profit?

On the pure surface of your question, I doubt there is a worthwhile market for a pre-turned specific kit. There will be a few people (entrepreneurs) who do not have the wherewithal to turn to fit, but want to buy and assemble and sell for profitable trade. But these guys will want quality work for wholesale prices. I doubt many people will do this. I do know that I have seen many sellers at some crafts fairs that have low level quality and would be glad to do that but the buyer (of the pre-turned to specific kits) - would totally reject that. For high quality fit and finish, I doubt that many of these experienced fellows/ladies would sell low enough for the assembler/seller to want to buy.

There was a post here about a year or so ago in which the guy wrote something along this line: "Who better to sell finished pens to than pen turners!" After his post, there was not much discussion along those lines. 1. By the nature of what we do, 2. by the sheer numbers of those viewing these pages daily, and 3. by the sheer range of experienced turners, in my opinion, there will be very little sales of pre-turned blanks for specific kits, particularly turned for precise fit. IF one is not experienced for excellent fit and finish, their product will not be wanted. For the experienced excellent fit and finish maker, I doubt they would not sell at the low price that an assembler-seller would want to buy, except on a very specific one-off sale.

Rare One-off sales, yes.

There is already an outlet that many have used and still use to sell pre-turned and pre-finished blanks to fit specific kits (and assembled, which takes 10 to 15 minutes) and that is consignment stores. I separate that from individuals who do direct sales. A consignment store is where pre-turned and pre-assembled kits/component pens are sold. And consignment stores charge from 20% and up. IMO, not many will turn for that much holdback on their work.

Let's just say:
A kit costs $25.00
A finely crafted segmented or other blank is turned and fit and finish excellent. ($20 components for blank)
Sale the pen: $150.00
Raw profit: $105
Time, experience and investment in equipment and consumables: $60.00 ( + or -, depending)
(An experienced and artistic turner with precise fit, finish and artistic value will not turn for less than $40 - $60 an hour, at least I will not.)
Net Profit: $45.00

A buyer of fit and finish blank would want to buy it for $40 - $60 at the most.
So, If I do purchase the raw blank, make the segments or cast the blank to specific request and turn and finish to required tolerances, that would be an estimate of $20 + $60 or $80. The buyer wants to pay $40-60. Not worth MY time and I am not in the same league as you are John. Your experience, investment in time and equipment would double the price that I mentioned. You are an artist with rare eye-hand coordination for exquisite creations.

(I speak from living and being around renown artists in Japan and in and among generational poverty artists in America.)

Net profit from sales would be negligible at best, but probably at a loss.

To me, it comes down to - Where is the profit? Is there enough profit?

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Hank I followed you but I didn't.:) This statement has me confused because I never seen this.

There is already an outlet that many have used and still use to sell pre-turned and pre-finished blanks to fit specific kits (and assembled, which takes 10 to 15 minutes) and that is consignment stores. I separate that from individuals who do direct sales. A consignment store is where pre-turned and pre-assembled kits/component pens are sold. And consignment stores charge from 20% and up. IMO, not many will turn for that much holdback on their work.

You are putting me on the spot here and I do not want to call out individuals or downplay their work because it is always good looking stuff. But there are examples right here and now on this forum of such blanks and he has shown these in the past and all it has done is got me thinking which at times I overthink things. I constantly see people making and selling all kinds of blanks here and they have actually become so efficient with it that they sell in cooperation with some big vendors that we all buy from. So my thoughts went to the selling avenue, not for me but other members who maybe looking for ways to sell blanks. Is this a method that can be profitable is what my question is and I am still confused to as to who would buy them. This is the reason I posted this in Casual Conversation instead of Penturning because it is just thoughts. Right now I am in the transition of getting back into the shop and making pens again but having a little hard time getting motivated again after a few months away from really being into it. Plus my back is starting to act up a little again. So I find myself spending more time here and my mind drifts.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I have sold a few blanks that were turned to size and had a finish on them. I quoted that person a price, they paid. For me, it doesn't bother me at all. It all comes down t a price. If they are willing to pay, i'm willing to sell. To me, it's just like selling a pen.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Ernie, I would never turn down anything you make nor question the price you ask. Period.

But I don't think this would become a common sales process as it would have to be quality. And of course you can provide that. Again, a one off situation or in your case a few-off from usual sales.

Top Bottom