Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JayDevin

I Love it. It doesnt smell as bad when turning. it is easy to use...equal amounts of part a & b
takes colors nice. not messy....mixes well with pearlex powders.
Alumilite also has dyes.

ldb2000

Hi Kevin
On the plus side the Alumilite is easy to mix (equal parts), is fast , you can start your project about an hour after you mix it , turns very nicly and has no real smell.
On the minus side It's expensive about twice the price of PR and I dont like the way it final sands . It shines but not as nicly as PR , to get that REAL PLASTIC;) shine you gotta CA it .
The PR on the other hand is Cheap (Acrylic slimlines are now cost effective:D) it's very easy to sand and finish and has that REAL PLASTIC;) shine.
The downside is the smell , which I happen to like , it does have a strong smell ,
and the mix is X number of drops of hardner per ounce of resin which varies with temperature and colorants (dyes,perls,pigments,micas) and from what I've read also on the thickness of the casting . Also you should let it cure overnight
As for coloring , anything you can use to color alumilite you can also use on PR including powder coat paints

airrat

I have not had a problem getting a "shine" with Alumilite.

Kevin hopefully Curtis will chime in here, I would say he is one of our Alumilite experts. He can list them better then I can.

Jarheaded

I have never had a problem getting a great shine with alumilite. I also have never needed to put any CA on it to make it shine. I have found that it takes color very well. It is a breeze to work with. You can slow it down with a little refrigeration. Also, if you want to speed it up, you can use either a hair dryer or a toaster oven and use low heat. And the best part about it is that it won't cause you to get divorced if you decide to do it in the middle of the kitchen. But I really like the fact that I can buy it directly from the manufacturer and when I have a question, noone has ever told me "I don't know", I have always had an answer before the whole batch went bad. They do have great customer support. Curtis will know more about the differences though.

Top Bottom