Alumilite Epoxy Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

A few years back I tried epoxy resins due to the odor of PR. I like the resins but they all yellowed. Some quicker than others but they all did. Other than that I like them all. I see that Alumilite has some and was thinking of trying it but I have my doubts. Just wondering if any here use it and what your thoughts are. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

All epoxies will eventually yellow to some degree. As I recall Alumilite's Amazing Clear Cast Plus has some UV resistance to yellowing but at some point it will likely start to yellow but it will last a lot longer than whatever is out there right now.

Penchant 4

Look for resins that contain HALS. It is a superior UV blocker. However, as John said above, all resins will succumb to the effects of UV rays.

eharri446

I recently ordered this item from Amazon: Aquaseal Table Top Epoxy Resin Epoxy. I have not used it yet. however, It is supposed to have a built in UV inhibitor and it is cheaper than Liquid Diamond, and mixes on a one to one ratio.

Kenny Durrant

Thanks again for the input. Like Don said been there done that I've traveled this road before. It's been a while since I've used any epoxy and like mentioned some of them have improved. Just wanting to see if how much they've actually have. I like the snakeskins but out of all the things I do they give me the most headaches. I understand you have failures now and then but it seems that once I feel I have a system something happens and I'm starting all over. Maybe I'm getting too old, or just my brain, to remember the system I'm supposed to be using. Ha Ha. Thanks Again for your help.

Kenny Durrant

The Clear Slow won't stick to to the skin or CA. I just tried a new idea with it and it failed as well. I've been able to cast a nice blank but when you start to trim the ends it separates and causes a glassy area on the skin. I have one more idea to try but I don't have any high hopes for it but I'm going to try anyway. If I could get the Clear Slow to work that would be a huge step for me being able to do more with the skins.

its_virgil

Is there a reason you cant use Alumilite Clear Slow, in a pressure pot? It's not an epoxy, and I haven't t seen any yellowing issues.
Yellowing isn't an issue with Alumilite Clear or Clear Slow but for some reason I cannot get either to consistently provide acceptable results with snake skin blanks. One would think it would be the same as casting labels but for some reason I cannot get Alumilite Clear or Clear Slow to produce acceptable snake skin blanks.

And, epoxy has its own issues with snake skins.

I could write pages on using both of those and epoxies with snake skins but I don't like to be upset.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom