Alumilite cure time ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregf

This is my first attempt using Alumilite clear.
Making a tube in label blank.
Reading the instructions I was surprised at the cure time being 5 - 7 days at room temp or 16 hours @ 150 F.
I have a Friday deadline for this pen for a retirement party.
(More on this story later and in SYOP).

After chasing down (literally) the mail person Monday to get my resin, I cast the blank Monday evening.
Everything good so far, pulled the blank from the mold around 9pm.
Upped the temperature to around 80 in the room.
Left the blank until Tuesday evening.

Put the blank in a toaster oven for about 5 hours last evening then back into the 80 degree room overnight until this evening.
Not willing to leave the blank in a toaster oven unattended overnight.

This morning the blank seemed to be hard.

My questions are:
Is the blank likely to be ready to turn this evening?

What do others do to speed up the curing.
How long to cure ?
Can the blank be over cured and get brittle ?

TIA,

Greg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Greg, I just finished casting over 200 alumilite sierra blanks in three days. These were tube on clear casting so I didn't have to worry much about moisture content. I still warmed the tubes but only for about 15 mins by placing a clip light over the top of my pressure tank. This also warms the tank. I used Alumilite clear and measured part A and B in separate cups by equal weight on a postal scale. I placed both cups under a clip light in a box to warm and thin down the resin for about 30 min. After that I stir each cup and let the resin sit for about ten minutes to let the resin cool down a bit or the warm resin will cure even quicker. After that I pour A and B together and mix until they turn clear and I cant see any resin film floating around. Then I pour the blanks and place in the pressure tank for 1.5 to 2 hours. After that I open, de-mold and they are ready to turn. Colder room temp like in a basement may require longer cure time. I pour in my basement and take the pressure tank to a back room near the heat duct upstairs and have had no problems. I've turned fresh blanks right out of the tank with no problems. Usually block casting I have more of an issue with waiting for my epoxy to cure after gluing in the tubes but never if the alumilite is cured. If not mixed well enough it will stay gooey and never finish curing no matter what you do, and if moisture is an issue it might turn white. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

upstatepano

The cure time they give is for "fully cured". I normally let my Alumilite blanks set overnight and have turned them the next day never having had any problems, yet. If I make them later in the day I'll just leave them in the pressure pot overnight just to make sure there are no bubbles. If I make some in the early morning I'll usually remove them from the mold in the afternoon so they can be used again that night.

Gregf

Thanks!
Much appreciated.
Wasn't sure of the results if the blank wasn't fully cured.
Running out of time here for additional attempts.

This project has been a comedy of errors and missteps.
Getting permission to use the corporate logo and intellectual property led to an expectation at the executive level that I would have the pen on Friday.
Nothing like additional pressure, and I don't mean the casting pot.

Greg

Gregf

John,

Thanks for posting the details of your process. If anyone has posted this info for Alumilite before I couldn't find it.

When I turn this tonight my pucker factor will be right up there with your description of turning the feather pen for the pith.

Greg

Which alumilite did you buy exactly? Not all alumilite is the same... If you picked up the hobby shop stuff it's "Amazing Clear Cast" which is NOT what most use for pen turning. The regular "Clear" stuff sets up in about 7 minutes...

Gregf

It's genuine Alumilite Clear that everyone uses.

I was getting wrapped up with following the instructions about curing.

I just finished the pen.

Success!!!!

OK, I can breathe now.

Greg

Last edited:

JohnU

Congrats! Now see, that wasn't so bad. Now that you got it down, just be consistent and you could cast 200 too. Although I wouldn't look forward to that if I were you. Lol

Gregf

What was especially frustrating I cast a couple of label blanks a couple of years ago using pr. Couldn't duplicate the results.
Love Alumilite, turns nice, polishes beautiful.

Thanks also to others that have posted info on label casting in this area.
Longbeard in particular made my decision to switch to Alumilite, waterproof labels, no sealing.
Absolutely no bubbles in the blanks.

Saved my butt on this one with a day to spare.

Greg

Last edited:
Top Bottom