Alumilite blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sarcuri

Hello all. I'm new to kitless pen turning. So far I have been purchasing alumilite rods from Turnersware house or Exotic blanks. Can anyone recommend other spots to purchase alumilite rods. Having trouble finding solid colors. Any assistance is much appreciated. Thank you.

S

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I was having difficulty finding solid colors too so I learned how to cast my own; just made beautiful solid glossy black today. If you are up for some DIY, you just need a HF pressure pot, an air compressor, and some NPT fittings, some alumilite clear and whatever alumilite colors you want. I bought some molds too, but you can cast cylindrical blanks in home-made HDPE molds or 3/4" PVC pipe (just remember to put some mold release in). There are some excellent youtube videos on the subject (I recommend this one:
).

Sarcuri

Thank you very much! Definitely up for DIY. Unfortunately I don't have the means to do it right now but I'm sure I will end up doing it in the near future. Thanks again!

Fred Bruche

Zac also has a couple of videos on using Liquid Diamonds resin that doesn't need any new/extra equipment such as pressure pot or compressor. Liquid Diamonds blanks are also easy to work with when polymerized. For opaque solid colors you'll have to experiments a bit with matte mica powders (many vendors out there), for translucent colors alcohol-based dyes will work fine.

Top Bottom