Alumilite and Gadgets molds-I'm in heaven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daddy1

Both came today so I mixed up a batch and it is setting as I type. Wow it gets hot!!!!!I touched the mold and it scared me. I did not expect it to be that hot!!!!!

When they say it sets quick they aren't kidding. That surprised me too.
I assume anything I could do with PR I can do with alumilite with the precaution--do it quickly. Am I right?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

Welcome to the kindler, gentler, quicker world of Alumilite! I would say that when working with alumilite you have to work organized not fast. I pre-position everything, so I go from weighing to mixing to mold to pot and presurize. Nothing worst than getting it into the pot to come to find out the air tank is empty. So the key is organization. Good luck, well you won't need it cause alumilite is fool proof (almost)

How come you never see the typos until AFTER you hit post...glad I got ahead of CAV...

toolcrazy

Gadget molds are awesome. I have done one cast of PR in them and won't use anything else. I have some Alumilite I'm gonna try soon. Looking forward to it.

Jarheaded

I have 4 molds from Gadget and will probably be buying more in the near future. Mix in the Alumilite and you can turn out some real nice blanks while waiting for dinner to be ready without the smell ruining it for everyone. I do agree with being organized or you will have a major mess. I am just starting to mix the colors to get the swirls and paterns that I want, it is possible. I just wish that I didn't have to wait so long for the order to be shipped to me---2 days of waiting and waiting. They are a great company and Gadget is fantastic too.:)

packermudgeon

Can anyone that has Gadget's round mold tell me if you can still mix colors to get the swirl effect? He hasn't tried that with them. Or should I get the rectangular molds for doing that?

Jim

Jarheaded

I have tried to by pouring in the different colors and stirring it slightly with a stick. The effect is unique to say the least. I am happy with the results and will try to get some pics when I start turning again. I am cooling both parts of the mix before working with the color mixing.

Originally posted by Daddy1

I assume anything I could do with PR I can do with alumilite with the precaution--do it quickly. Am I right?

I have not been able to sucessfully cast labels with alumilite. The alumimlite pulls away from the label :(.

packermudgeon

Would it be possible to photograph the round mold? I've seen the
pictures of the others but am struggling with what the round molds
are like. A picture would truly be worth a thousand words.

packermudgeon

I was right. A picture is worth more than a thousand words.:)

Thanks, everyone.

Matt, to place my order, do you want me to do it through the other thread, here or in an email?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Originally posted by packermudgeon

I was right. A picture is worth more than a thousand words.:)

Thanks, everyone.

Matt, to place my order, do you want me to do it through the other thread, here or in an email?

Please do not place it here. Use the classifieds or e-mail. Thanks

I don't cast yet, but plan to in future.. where would I find the little corks?

Also for Don, since he's the resident expert.. if I could get my hands on one of the old canning pressure cookers, would that work as a pressure pot..

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I am not Don but can answer the question. DO NOT USE A PRESSURE COOKER! They are not made for this application. There is a fellow on a casting forum that I used to frequent who was hurt pretty bad by a pressure cooker that exploded.

sbell111

Gadget's molds are pretty great, but I'm impatient. Therefore, I poured my own yesterday evening. I popped it out of it's mold a few minutes ago.

2bc3f4c4-f69c-4997-9c98-6e7f30706a72.jpg

Top Bottom