Alumi UV

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Not this product, but another one called Solarez. In fact, I own several UV lights and just gave away the nail curing light to my daughter in law. The big challenges that I and another member had was dealing with oxygen inhibition. That is where the ambient oxygen (in the air) interrupts the curing process and the finish remains tacking (which can be sanded off, but doesn't leave the finish crystal clear).

This Alumni product seems to have overcome the oxygen inhibition problem (there are many "papers" written about it - it is a big problem for large scale curing applications - Google it if interested, here's one article - there are many more recent ones. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0300944003001206).

For $19, I would give this a try. The issue with the other products has been applying and curing the product using thin layers (again, the OI issue - too much surface area and too low of a volume of peuduct to prevent OI from interrupting the curing process). If Alumi has figured this out, it can be a real game changer, at least for me in my opinion. Then I just Have to figure out what to do with all of the Mercury CA, Gluboost, Solarez, and KBS Diamond Finish (unopened for over a year) that I bought :).

Thanks for finding this. I continue Googling UV doming/thin finishes, but somehow this one escaped me.

Please let us know. I may give it a try too. Thank you.

yorkie

Not this product, but another one called Solarez. In fact, I own several UV lights and just gave away the nail curing light to my daughter in law. The big challenges that I and another member had was dealing with oxygen inhibition. That is where the ambient oxygen (in the air) interrupts the curing process and the finish remains tacking (which can be sanded off, but doesn't leave the finish crystal clear).

This Alumni product seems to have overcome the oxygen inhibition problem (there are many "papers" written about it - it is a big problem for large scale curing applications - Google it if interested, here's one article - there are many more recent ones. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0300944003001206).

For $19, I would give this a try. The issue with the other products has been applying and curing the product using thin layers (again, the OI issue - too much surface area and too low of a volume of peuduct to prevent OI from interrupting the curing process). If Alumi has figured this out, it can be a real game changer, at least for me in my opinion. Then I just Have to figure out what to do with all of the Mercury CA, Gluboost, Solarez, and KBS Diamond Finish (unopened for over a year) that I bought :).

Thanks for finding this. I continue Googling UV doming/thin finishes, but somehow this one escaped me.

Please let us know. I may give it a try too. Thank you.

Thank you, Tony.

I love my CA finish but it's so cumbersome. I'm always looking for a new, glossy hard finish and this has me excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

bmachin

I bought it a few years ago and experimented just a little. Used sunlight as a UV source.

As I recall it is quite viscous, so getting a thin even coat was pretty difficult. The other downside is that when cured the texture was rubbery feeling although that may well have been operator error.

All things considered, I probably didn't give it a fair trial, and as Tony said, it's kind of hard to go wrong for the price.

Bill

TonyL

If it is not rock hard, I wouldn't be interested, but again $19 is very tempting.

As far as dealing with the viscosity/even coats - I can work with that. If I knew it was a rock hard finish, I would buy it.

bmachin

As I noted above, I probably was guilty of operator error. Take a look at Bob in SF's post from Saturday on Engraved Duck Eggs to see how it should really work.

Bill

TonyL

If I didn't have a ton of Gluboost, Mercury Adhesives, and something I bought over a year ago and still haven't opened (KB Coatings?), I would give it a try.

Top Bottom