Alternate Source for Pen Boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from The Texas Penwright

As most of you know, PSI is out-of-stock on their better, wooden pen boxes. They said they don't expect any more until mid April.

I use a lot of boxes in making sets for groups and associations, and I engrave them. So, when I can't get boxes, I'm pretty much dead-in-the-water.

Has anyone had any luck with alternate sources for boxes that can be engraved? (I have tried importing some from Alibaba, but it's a bit of a hassle.)

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Sounds like someone could start making pen boxes and make it a business unto itself.
Absolutely; anyone interested. Here's a couple I made from Texas mesquite, but I'm too slow ...

Attachments

• DSC_0051.JPG
    DSC_0051.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 66

cl1237

I found these on oakbrook wood turning supply when I was searching their inventory for blanks. I plan to order a few next time I place an order. $6-8 seems fair for these. They come unfinished, but it's easy enough to put a few coats of your preferred finish on.

In looking around, I think I have found a source for this rosewood box that was so popular a short-time back. This is the one that came with two inserts, one for a single pen and one for two pens. I sold a bunch of them. I'm ordering a sample to get a closer look.

Attachments

• Older Rosewood Pen Box.jpg
    Older Rosewood Pen Box.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 27

jttheclockman

In looking around, I think I have found a source for this rosewood box that was so popular a short-time back. This is the one that came with two inserts, one for a single pen and one for two pens. I sold a bunch of them. I'm ordering a sample to get a closer look.
Keep us informed. Thanks

Keep us informed. Thanks

Keep us informed. Thanks
John: I've been working on it, and here's what I found; it's an imported source. The "A" photo is a pen box I got from PSI when they still carried that style. (I purchased hundreds of them over the last dozen or so years; they engraved really well.) I believe their last cost on it was a few cents from $20.00. The "B" photo is the one I found, a sample that I purchased. It also holds two inserts (one and two-pen inserts), so you remove one of them when you put a pen in. The wood is actually rubberwood, made from rubber trees that mature past producing latex. Apparently it's a pretty popular hardwood, light like maple. It has a rosewood-like stain, like the other one. Both are exactly the same length, and the recess for the inserts is identical, but the one I found is wider and "thicker." It is more of a matte finish, which I think looks great, especially if I were to rub on a little Old English furniture oil.

That's my two cents, John. The minimum order was 500 pieces, but the price was right, so I bit the bullet last night and got the production started. Not sure what I'm going to do with that many, or where I'll put them, but at least I won't have to deal with "Out-of-Stock" notices when I'm sitting here with association orders for engraved boxed pen sets.

I thought of starting another thread, John, but you asked me to keep you informed, and I appreciated that. Have a good one.

Attachments

• DSC_0096.JPG
    DSC_0096.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0097.JPG
    DSC_0097.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0100.JPG
    DSC_0100.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 21
Thank you. Could you share the source and the cost per box? Does look like a nice box.
It is. I won't be sure on the cost until I know the cost of sea shipping and duty, and that will be the better of two months or so before I really know. I had done some importing of custom conchos and gift pouches before, so already had the credentials and process in place, so the source was one I could access. If anyone is interested in more info, they can message me, and I can get back with them when I know more.

Thanks, and keep turning!

Top Bottom