allergens in oils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

a few days ago there was a discussion about possible allergens in finished bowls, cutting boards etc. finished with vegetable oils. I cannot find that thread so i would like to start a new one just to add some information that may be of use to fellow woodworkers.
The allergenicity of any food is due to one or more proteins that when ingested are perceived as dangerous by the immune system. Oils contain miniscule amounts of protein and also go through some sort of refinement (i.e. sieving etc.) to become wood finishes. The walnut oil used by woodworkers for instance is not raw and cold pressed; it has been purified and (heat) treated so that it is clear and cure faster. That process destroys the proteins further. Finally the finished/oiled object is left to dry/ cure (i.e. polymerise) which oxidises any organic molecule, proteins included.
If you want to have a look at the paper that i found: the authors did not find a reasonable amount of allergens in food grade oil used in ordinary cooking. I will try to look this subject further and keep you guys posted, cheers.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0278691599001581

Top Bottom