All wood ballpoint click pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from daledut

Status
Not open for further replies.

daledut

Here is my latest prototype pen made entirely out of wood with the exception of the click mechanism and the refill hich came from a Bic click.

Image Insert:
200472211146_All_wood_click_front.jpg

33.1KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Great job. since the top of the click mechanism is obviously wood how did you get the rest of the unit to seat? Are there brass tubes on the inside of the pen parts?

I don't know if I'm a good enough carver to make the pen clips but I'd like to try to duplicate as much of this as I can. Maybe I would understand more if I purchased a click pen kit to see the components first hand. I've had enough of the plastic ones apart in my life. Used to take them apart in high school and mix and match the parts to get unique pens I could keep track of.

Maybe using a step drill to get a lip for the mechanism to seat on? This is one I could DEFINITELY use a TUTORIAL on!!

leenollie

That is a truly awesome pen, Dale. I agree with Tip, this is one that would make a great article or tutorial.

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner [:)]

P.S. Have a great and safe 4th of July. I will be hoisting quite a few, and will think of everyone here occasionally. [:D]

Evan

Hi Dale,

That's a nice looking clip! Nice finish too.

I was having trouble getting started on a wood tip. Hope you can answer some questions:

Drilling the hole to be centered... I wanted to make an all wood bottom half including the tip, and having the smaller hole centered with the one on the inside would've been a problem. I guess with the shorter tip, the hole can be drilled from the inside?

One other thing I was afraid of - were there any problems with the tip being too thin at the end? Any ideas on strengthening it?

Anyhow, that's a cool pen. But what are the two woods? Is the darker one some palm?

daledut

For now I will answer the specific questions. The tutorial will come from the next version because there are several things I need to change to make it easier to make and more functional.

The click mechanism has a lip on it that has the plastic clip attached. I sand the lip and clip off completely so the the click mech. barrel is smooth. There are no brass tubes. The click mech. is glued into a "J" size hole in the upper end before the wood clip, finial and push button are glued in place. This 3 piece set up and using CA in close tolerances is one thing I hope to change.

As for the tip, I have made several wood tips and find that it is best to drill the larger hole to the proper depth then turn the barrel and tip as one piece. Finish it normally (CA is my choice). Then drill the small hole from the outside using a drill chuck in the lathe. I put the drill bit into the dent made by the live center, that makes sure the hole is in the center on the outside (where you see it).
I strengthen the tip with CA and then sometimes have to clean out the hole a little with a needle file.

I did write up a step by step proceedure, but it is very long and has no pictures. If anyone wants a copy I will email it to you, but I would recomend waiting for version 2 with pictures ;-)

Daniel

Great Pen Dale.
Can't wait to see the detail in how it is made. I really like the clip design. the combination of woods also looks very good.

Evan

Hi Dale,

Thanks for sharing your insight and ideas... that's great.
Also, I like the second photo (third from the left on the second row) - it shows the clip nicely.

Evan

pecartus

Dale,

WOW !! Great looking pen, nice job, can't wait for the tutorial. I am very impressed that this could be done, there is just no limit on creativity minds within this group, thanks Dale for sharing this with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom