Alcohol Inked UV Resin Finished Duck Calls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Some avid duck hunter friends requested game calls.

I recently posted this thread about alcohol inking and UV resin finishing a pen, so I thought I use similar techniques with game calls.

Once again, no sanding - and this time no CA. I used olive wood for 3 of them and canary for the other. The alcohol inks are "sandwiched between 2 layers of UV resin.

Steps:
Alcohol inked, Alumilite UV resin coated the brass bands, and then UV cured the bands with a 365nm wavelength lamp, 6-8 inches away, 4 minutes; UV protective amber glasses, plenty of ventilation.
Drilled 5/8" holes in the 3" long x 1.5" square blocks.
Turned the blocks to shape with a sharpened skew and carbide tools (no sanding, no CA).
UV resin coated the turnings, UV lamp cured them.
Alcohol inked the 3 of the turnings in various ways, and left 1 bare apart from the alcohol-inked band. I've masked off some areas in the picture below.
UV resin coated the inked turnings, then lamp cured them.
Set the cured turnings out in the afternoon sun (UV) for an hour (for good measure).
Inserted the call inserts.
They sound legit.
The hunters are happy, so I'm happy.
AlcoholInkedUVResinDuckCalls1,markison,2021,1200px.png

AlcoholInkedUVResinDuckCalls2,markison,2021,1200px.jpg

Warm regards to all - (always hunting for new ideas) - Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This is the second time I have seen you post this method and got me thinking. At times I make spin tops for kids and I use a texturing tool and color them with sharpie colors. This maybe a better solution for more vivid colors. I have bookmarked this thread for future. Thanks and nice work by the way.

dogcatcher

On the bands, do you think they could be powered coated with using clear? Or would the powder coat process destroy the look?

Also, could the process be done after the band is installed. I use both brass and aluminum bands but I also drill and pin them in place, which results in the process of having to trim the pins off and sand and re polish the bands.

Bob in SF

On the bands, do you think they could be powered coated with using clear? Or would the powder coat process destroy the look?

Also, could the process be done after the band is installed. I use both brass and aluminum bands but I also drill and pin them in place, which results in the process of having to trim the pins off and sand and re polish the bands.
Hi dogcatcher - I'm not sure about powder coating - would probably take some experimenting.

The alcohol inking and UV resin application/UV curing can certainly be done after they are installed.

Best regards - Bob

Top Bottom