After the overlay thread yesterday...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I guess I can post mine for comments. Keep in mind it's not finished. I've thinned it some, smoothed the sharp edges, "antiqued" it (using aluminum and wax to fill in the recesses for definition), and still need to round and smooth the bottom. Please critique freely...

overlaypith01.jpg

overlaypith03.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Interesting use of free style forming, is that electroplate?, melted beer cans? I am envisioning the Piccaso Pen.:rolleyes:

DurocShark

So here it is on the pen.

What I did was take a 5/8" aluminum rod, drill a hole for the sierra tube, then a larger hole for the resin blank. I used my stack of carbide Dremel bits to cut out the design, going for a hammered look.

On the resin blank I cast red sparkle resin in one of those awesome resin saver molds, then turned it B2B. I cut a 1/16" tenon at one end with a skew, tested the overlay fit, then polished.

The overlay is glued on with CA then I used a barrel trimmer to fit the base of the overlay to the tube. Mounted it back up and turned the taper at the bottom.

I'm mostly happy with how it turned out. The weight isn't a problem because it's just above the grip and fits into the pocket made by your hand when writing.

Don't mind the dust in these pics. I was tired last night and completely spaced on cleaning it before taking pics.
overlaypith05.jpg

overlaypith04.jpg

overlaypith06.jpg

Jgrden

So here it is on the pen.

What I did was take a 5/8" aluminum rod, drill a hole for the sierra tube, then a larger hole for the resin blank. I used my stack of carbide Dremel bits to cut out the design, going for a hammered look.

On the resin blank I cast red sparkle resin in one of those awesome resin saver molds, then turned it B2B. I cut a 1/16" tenon at one end with a skew, tested the overlay fit, then polished.

The overlay is glued on with CA then I used a barrel trimmer to fit the base of the overlay to the tube. Mounted it back up and turned the taper at the bottom.

I'm mostly happy with how it turned out. The weight isn't a problem because it's just above the grip and fits into the pocket made by your hand when writing.

Don't mind the dust in these pics. I was tired last night and completely spaced on cleaning it before taking pics.
View attachment 19851

View attachment 19850

View attachment 19852
Brilliant.

DurocShark

I just discovered that while resin is easier to carve, it looks like crap. It looks cheap. Like the plastic that it is. :(

(I was doing a VW Bus pen for a friend. I did the L50 neptune blue resin barrel with white overlay to match his neptune blue and white bus. Looks horrible. Re-doing it in aluminum against the neptune blue.)

DurocShark

That would probably work. Don't have any powder. I've made it from copper using a sander, but it's painful (time-wise). I should look to see if I can find any pre-packaged.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
NIce work. Try carving in wax and have it cast in silver. Also, if you get one that you really like, then you can make a mold from it (or have it made) and cast multiples.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
LOL .. ok .. I found a pretty good supplier for stuff like that. I've ordered things
at 4:00 in the afternoon and had them on my doorstep at 11 the next morning! :eek:
(helps being only 200 miles, but still..)

http://www.gesswein.com

You might need to make an account to access a lot of it, but there's tons of
toys there. :tongue:

Top Bottom