Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hunter.B

Hey guys, I'm 16 and starting to get into pen turning and could use advice on type of pen blanks I should buy and where to buy them from. Also could use help on what type of pen kits are good

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome aboard Hunter. There's a lot of suppliers you can use and various pen kits. As for myself, I started with Penn State Industries pens but I've also bought them from Exotic Blanks and on Amazon (Legacy Wood Turning) and others. You'll get lots of ideas from others on this site. I started with a Fun line from Penn State (came with the kit). Same as the slim line but cheaper as they don't guarantee the plating. There cheap ($2.15 for Chrome), easy to turn and a great way to get started and as giveaways people really like them. You'll get lots more advice from other turners on this site too.

sbwertz

If you want to turn wood, I have some really pretty blanks I can send you. I'm not into plastics, but I have some beautiful wood I'll share.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Hunter to IAP.
This is not the advice you are looking for but this can help guide you on some things that others wished they had known earlier:

magpens

I know that your message is not addressed to me, Hank, but I will answer anyway .... :) :) ;) ....

The thing that I wish I had known at the start (or before the start) is that slimline pens are the HARDEST way to start ... they just are !!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know that your message is not addressed to me, Hank, but I will answer anyway .... :) :) ;) ....

The thing that I wish I had known at the start (or before the start) is that slimline pens are the HARDEST way to start ... they just are !!!

Starting off with the hardest: That brings back memories of high school football - After the coaches ran the you know what out of us and made us do 300-400 pushups almost daily, the games were a breeze! ;)

1080Wayne

Starting off with the hardest: That brings back memories of high school football - After the coaches ran the you know what out of us and made us do 300-400 pushups almost daily, the games were a breeze! ;)
Hope you are still good for 300 daily pushups , Hank . I`m not , and never was . Always learned more from most endeavors by starting with the hardest part . Think the hardest part left for Mal is using up all of the nice blanks he buys .

Top Bottom