Advice for Moving Tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

I'm preparing for a cross country move (Texas to North Carolina), we will be using PODS. Wondering if anyone has advice for the best way to pack large benchtop tools? (Lathe, bands saw, slow speed grinder, etc.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

The way they arrive is usually strapped to a pallet. I shutter at the idea of moving my shop. But I would use pallets. Some movers will not pack a garage or shop. Also, where in NC?

Curly

When we moved here from the West Coast we rented shipping containers from Big Steel Box. They droped one off in the driveway and I packed it with the shop and household goods and when full took it away and brought another. They use tilt bed trucks to load/unload. The second container was a bit heavy and the from wheels of the truck lifted at least 4' off the ground. :eek: I put the 5 hp vertical compressor in the front corner with the bandsaw in the other corner, table removed and strapped them in with ratchet straps. I put a workbench between and packed boxes under and around them. Heavy stuff like books and tools under and lighter stuff on top with very light things just above the roof. I put boards side to side in the wall corrugations and spaced them with three upright boards screwing to them as I went up. It looked like a board fence and keep the load from shifting. I stuffed a little more behind the fence as I built it up. The fence was about 4 feet from the front wall. I put padding on the ends of the boards to keep from chaffing the paint. Next I positioned another heavy tool like the table saw against the fence. Packing heavy stuff under and putting boxes on top and then lighter household goods on top. I tied as I went to the walls, not enough tie down points :mad:, and the board fence behind. I built a new fence, again 4 or 5 feet from the last and stuffed more between it and the stuff I just put in. I repeated the exercise until ready to close the doors. The main thing was to put the heavy things low and work your way up with lighter things. Take off what you can from the lathe and place them low, wrapped or packed in boxes. I brought a lot of cardboard, packing foam/bubble wrap home from work. We also bought a bundle of 10 or 12 moving blankets from Amazon or eBay for about $100Can to wrap stuff as needed. Another thing we did was to buy a several dozen of each 12"x12"x12" and 14"x14"x14" cardboard boxes, packing tape and a tape gun. Having boxes of a consistent size makes it easier to back densely. I worked for the most part by myself and packed two 20' containers in about 3 weeks. If your pods have similar walls making fences for them makes for very secure packing. Nothing shifted in the move here.

Good moving.

monophoto

I've only had to move once; after that experience, I told my wife that I would only leave our new home wearing a toe tag.

But I did chuckle at the four very large guys who muscled my ancient Delta table saw/jointer out of the basement in our old home, and into the basement of our new place.

egnald

I'm afraid I would have to consider selling my big heavy stuff with the house and buying replacements at my new shop. I might get a quote from a machinery mover that specializes in that kind of stuff though just to see if it would be worth it. - Dave

I moved my entire shop to my new place in Montana. By "I moved my entire shop" I actually moved it by myself. I bought an enclosed trailer, strapped all my equipment to the sides and then stacked boxes in the middle. Not a tool was scratched and I still have the trailer for my next move in a few months. Was it easy? Nope. If you decide to move yourself make sure to get a good solid hand-truck and lots of extra help. I even moved my Kawasaki Mule in the trailer by strapping it to the floor. My Dodge Ram 2500 diesel did all the work and I had no problems getting the move done.

Pods should allow you to strap stuff to the sides and stack stuff in between. Never used them so I'm not sure. Buy a lot of ratcheting straps, like the ones at Home Depot, and don't be afraid to use them. I think for my move I had over 30 of them and still have all but a few. Between the trailer and the back of my truck I had more than enough room for shop tools.

As for selling any tools I have...not a chance. I've got older tools that are rock solid, work great and other than the switch key, not a bit of plastic on them. So I'm keeping my tools.

Best of luck on your move.

MRDucks2

My wood working tools have all survived by I personally supervised and showed the movers how to move the bandsaw and not to move it by grabbing the table. I physically immobilized my X-Carve and warned that went on top, the did manage to damage the cradle I built for it.

The one that has baffled me twice now:
Me - The gun safe looks like a regular 32 inch safe but it is special built, it weighs 1034 pounds empty.
Mover - OK, there is a $50 up charge since it is heavy.
Moving Crew - two guys ALWAYS grab the safe and attempt to moved it off the 4x4 weight distribution base onto a standard dolly by themselves. THUD, house shakes, guys scream for help.
The only ones to get it right are companies that move safes professionally.

gimpy

I moved and the movers
We're **** poor

If I ever have to move again
I would sell it all and buy new

When we moved from Texas to Tennessee, I rented a U-haul and had "professionals" from my wife's company help with the packing... I think I would have gotten more in the truck myself, but they were a lot younger and more robust than me, so it was a good, smart move for me... also had a separate trailer hitched to the truck to haul the pick up, which was also loaded with as much as would fit in a little Ranger... still left stuff behind.
My shop was a little smaller then, but I scrounged boxes for parts of the the tools... the lathe was on wheels, so it went on the big truck, 2 scroll saws went in boxes, the table saw is a little contractor's also went in a box, table top Ryobi band saw boxed, I have a stand alone work bench from Lowe's that my wife gave me on the truck.... all my garden tools were packed under and around the pick up on the trailer... wound up having to leave the smoker with the neighbor, it would not fit anywhere -- bought a new one in TN, .. we opted to leave a queen mattress -- donated to a family that had lost stuff in Rita Hurricane the week before...
we even had two boxes of wood that I had accumulated and threw in the back of the pick up.... (part of the wood had been accumulated in TN on one of our trips and hauled back to TX...

SteveG

I recently purchased a long bed jointer. Here is a tip from the way it was crated for shipping. The idea is to avoid damaging the ways. The jointer was off the base. the infeed and outfeed beds were adjusted to be coplanar. Then the whole thing was inverted on a flat surface (Pallet with sheet of rigid foam). This method avoided stressing the ways. This is extra work, but would insure the jointer is good to go on the other end of your move. I do not envy you. I selectively sold some of my major tools in my self-load move from Hawaii to Oregon three years ago.

Top Bottom