Adding a cigar band…

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ray-CA

Wanting to add a cigar band to a turned blank. Should I put a layer of ca down first, then the band and finish my layers of ca? Or, secure the band to the raw wood before building up the layers of ca?
Thanks,
Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

It's probably overkill but I always seal the wood with ca before adding any to the surface. That way if any color bleeds out of them while on the wood, it won't stain the wood and you can wipe it off. Depending on how you adhere it, make sure you let any adhesive dry before you build your ca layers. Moisture can cloud up your final finish.

jcm71

Applying CA directly to the cigar band will probably cause the colors to run. Get some Mod Podge from hobby Lobby and glue the band to the balk with that. Then apply several coats of MP to the top of the band and let dry overnight. It is white but drys clear and is self leveling. Once cured apply your normal CA finish.

Drewby108

Having fought this before, I can say that CA WILL cause your ink to run. I finished the wood, then glued the band to it, then sealed the band with tiny dabs of thin CA so it minimized the colors running.

I would suggest not being me and seal the band with the mod podge stuff, then build up a couple layers of CA over that.

Drewby108

Here's the one I did. You can see some of the smudging of color. It was the third band before getting to the "screw this, I don't care anymore" point lol

Attachments

• received_569580794528017.jpeg
    received_569580794528017.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 44

JohnU

You might get less bleeding if you spray a couple light coats of spray clear before you glue it to the blank. Just make sure you let it dry for a day before using it. Then, use a thicker CA for the first few coats. ( in thin layers).

Top Bottom