Add-on threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I wanted to try something different with cap threads and here is what I've come up with so far today. If I don't wreck it, then I'll finish it tomorrow:rolleyes:

Pic 1 shows two pieces of PR. The hole and the outside diameter are a nice slip fit.
Pic 2 shows the first of dozens of cuts done with the lathe gears set to do a 3.5mm pitch. These were done with the lathe off and by cranking the leadscrew. Because of the high gearing, it may be easier to turn the chuck, but be warned, never alternate or you will discover all about backlash.:redface: DAMHIKT
Pic 3 is the finished male threads. I did the same with the female threads for the cap. Took over two hours to thread both!!
Pic 4 is of a transfer punch which is slightly smaller than the pen body. I wrapped a 1.5mm stainless welding rod around the punch and kept it tight and even with a pair of pliers. These are cheap pliers that I filed the grip off of the jaws.
Pic 5 is spreading the coils to suit.
Pic 6 is a trial fit.
Pic 7 is the thread fitted and a brass tube installed. The brass will be threaded to take a nib.
Pic 8 is the body screwed into the cap.

I'll turn it down and add trim rings etc once I figure out how to make it look decent......unless I break it first:biggrin:
The coil threads will also act as a 'grip' for the pen.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 252
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 188
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very cool! How is the thread coil secured to the body?

At the moment, the spring tension holds it in place. The coil diameter is a bit smaller than the groove it fits in, so it's pretty tight. The trim rings will make sure it can't move. ( I hope:biggrin: )

Wouldn't a Helicoil work?

John H

Sure, I guess, but I don't have any that size and those that I do have are a bit sharp ( 60deg) and not stainless. I particularly wanted the rounded edge as it is more comfortable to hold. I also wanted the gaps between the threads and my insert tool can only fit internal Helicoils. :wink:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well it's almost done, but the cap is HUGE !!! :redface: As I was using round wire for the thread, I really should have rounded the tip of the internal cutter. This meant that my threads inside the cap were a lot deeper than they needed to be. But re-grinding the cutter is a pain to do and I was lazy. I cut the wire threads shorter and thickened the body in an attempt to make the difference a bit less.:frown:
I'll post the finished pen in SOYP soon.
Here are the pics of the trim rings for the cap and the mod to the body.
Oh well... at least I don't have to re-gring the cutter:biggrin:

Attachments

• capmod.jpg
    capmod.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 166
  • nibmod.jpg
    nibmod.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 174

workinforwood

Wow...that cap is HUGE! :eek::eek::eek: Crazy Brit. Oh wait...that's a cricket pen bat right? :tongue: How about putting another spring over the body of the pen to offset the large cap? Then your pen could be the shock absorber pen. :rotfl:

On a more serious note though...it's very cool. That is some radical thinking Steve..I like it! I just can't help but have some fun with you sometimes.:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, maybe it's supposed to be one of those old German hand grenades:eek:

Hey, did anyone notice the problem with pic 5????:rolleyes: I actually made three different sizes before I realised the problem:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You twisted the wire the wrong way.

Yep:redface: Well spotted. When I was a squeeky clean newbie here I showed a little core cutter that I made. I was really proud of it, but a female member ( can't remember her name though )pointed out that I ground the teeth the wrong way. :eek: Luckily I had a reverse on my machine:biggrin:

I wanna see a triple start version :tongue::biggrin:
Great job Steven , very inovative idea .

Gee Butch....triple start with gaps to see the material:eek: That would have to be something like 2TPI. Where is Randy when you need him? He'd work that out in two ticks. Where is he anyway???

But Butch, now that you mentioned it, I might try 2 start ( no gaps ) but with one thread stainless and the other gold ( brass)...mmm watch this space:wink:

Top Bottom