Activator in tiny icebergs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gabericks

Hey pros, I've never had This problem is consistent as I do now, but when I apply my first layer of CA, and then lightly, lightly spray with activator, not immediately but in about 5 seconds. These tiny bumps are there. They look like little ice crystals or icebergs. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks so much

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I used to experience this when temps were well below 70° F, and high humidity - above 75%. That in addition to the activator on the CA.

egnald

Have you considered applying the first few coats without the activator? I typically apply 4 coats of thin followed by about 8 coats of medium CA. I only use activator on my medium coats and let the thin coats dry/cure naturally. I use a 90 second hourglass timer between coats of thin and at least with my brand and shop conditions it seems to be adequate.

It's been my experience that excess moisture often causes clouding or white spots in CA. Is it possible that your activator somehow has some condensation or other source of water that has gotten into it? It can happen if you use a pump sprayer for activator, especially if you have any kind of temperature swings in your shop.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can figure it out. - Dave

JohnU

I used to get those with the pump accelerator but after switching to Gluboost brand I don't get them or any white blemishes. You might be applying too much or holding it too close.

penicillin

Like @JohnU above, I got them on occasions when I used StickFast brand CA for finishes. I even bought StickFast's special "finishing kit" a few years ago - no difference.

I does not happen with GluBoost Fill 'n' Finish (medium and thin) and the GluBoost brand accelerator. Just for experimentation, I tried to make it happen by spraying too much GluBoost accelerator much too close. No joy - I could not make it happen.
-> I have stuck with GluBoost ever since. (Yeah, pun intended.)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Not directly related to the above but a note on the "GlueBoost":

When it was discovered 20 years+ or so ago that CA made for a good finish for pens, it gradually became adopted as generally the most preferred finish over the next few years, (but not the only finish type). There have been problems on and off for different pen makers over the years with CA and for some it had a fairly difficult learning curve due to some of the drawbacks as mentioned in this post. Other posts present other problems such as the difference between cold and hot climates, dry vs humid climates, types of CA.

Most CA glues were not manufactured to be used as a finish, but that was a side product of the use of CA. I may not be totally accurate but as far as I know, GlueBoost is the first one or at least the main CA type that has been manufactured for the characteristics and techniques as a "finish" itself, which lends itself to the accolades that GlueBoost users give it.

Summary: As far as Most CAs are concerned, to be used as a finish was a side benefit of CA; GlueBoost was manufactured with qualities geared towards using as a Finish.

IF I have mis-spoken/written any of the above, please correct it.

Gabericks

Have you considered applying the first few coats without the activator? I typically apply 4 coats of thin followed by about 8 coats of medium CA. I only use activator on my medium coats and let the thin coats dry/cure naturally. I use a 90 second hourglass timer between coats of thin and at least with my brand and shop conditions it seems to be adequate.

It's been my experience that excess moisture often causes clouding or white spots in CA. Is it possible that your activator somehow has some condensation or other source of water that has gotten into it? It can happen if you use a pump sprayer for activator, especially if you have any kind of temperature swings in your shop.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can figure it out. - Dave
No, it's straight up a can of purchased aerosol. I'll try your method of thin CA for a few coats that's allowed to dry on its own for 90 seconds. Thanks!

egnald

Hank, leehljp, in post #7 made some very important points about using CA as a finish. I can't speak to GluBoost as I have no personal experience with it, but it receives many accolades from the IAP community that does use it.

When I started I used anybrand CA glue and was plagued with several maladies. Then I started using TMI Products "Stick Fast" brand of CA, the bottles that are marked as "CA Wood Finish" and not the ones marked simply as "Instant CA Adhesive" although I don't know if there is really a difference in the formulation, but some of the key features TMI indicates is that they have an extended application time of up to 60 seconds and that they have a slight amount of flexibility to improve durability.

At one time I was also using their CA Satin and Gloss polishes, but have since discontinued using them (for pen finishing anyway) in favor of buffing on a tightly sewn cotton wheel with PSI's blue buffing compound followed by a final polish on a loosely sewn flannel wheel. Using the polishes, I would occasionally wind up with little white dots in the finish which I believed to be almost imperceptible pinhole voids that trapped the polish when it was applied resulting in the dots. I have not had the problem since I switched to buffing.

On rare occasions, I have had a bout of cracking or crazing of the finish several weeks after it has been applied. I haven't locked the cause down exactly yet, but I believe it is related to not letting my blanks dry out sufficiently between cleaning them with denatured alcohol and applying the first coat of finish. So far I haven't lost any pens to it as they have always been recoverable by knocking them apart, sanding them down, and refinishing.

If you haven't settled on materials and a regimen that works consistently for you, from the testimonies I have read, I think you should give the Gear Up Products, GluBoost Fill n' Finish products serious consideration.

Regards,
Dave

Top Bottom