Acrylic pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Taylorrock99

I tried turning an acrylic pen blank but I noticed that it is very see through. I can see the barrels and glue. The color was a very light pink so I think that is why. I am curious if I made a mistake, or if light colored are easy to see through and I should stick to darker ones? It was also very tough to bring the material down. I am using a carbine tip to turn. Is there a better tip to use for acrylic?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

You can see though a lot of the acrylics, try back painting the blank or painting the tube. Carbide is the best for turning also, but try alumilite. It turns a lot nicer than your acrylics.

1shootist

You need to paint the inside of blanks like that before you glue in the brass tube. Its a common occurance with light colored blanks.
You can use a paint color thats close to the blank color or use white or black. Which ever you use can change the blank color a bit.

EricRN

I typically paint it white. I painted one silver once, thinking it would reflect light back through the blank and increase brightness. It didn't. It actually just made it darker.
One thing to be aware of—CA glue can dissolve some types of paint, leading to a poor bond between the blank and tube, or mottled paint with parts of the tube that you can see through. I suggest two part epoxy if you paint. I learned this the hard way—had a couple blanks got apart on me while I was turning them when I painted and used CA.

howsitwork

Anyone tried adding colour to the epoxy? Just a thought as I am nervous of the paint not permitting a good grip on the tubes and the whole,lot delaminating.

jttheclockman

Anyone tried adding colour to the epoxy? Just a thought as I am nervous of the paint not permitting a good grip on the tubes and the whole,lot delaminating.
Yes but you will not be happy if that is your base to hide the tube. Many people here paint the blank, paint the tube, and add color to epoxy. It is like have suspenders, a belt, and elastic waste band. Overkill in my eyes.

Back painting or reverse painting as called is easy to do and if using epoxy which is 100% better than CA to glue tubes in will be no problem. Many people use Testors enamel paints and use a Q-tip to apply. Some people use spray paints and use high temp paints from Home Depot. All those work well. Give it a try and develop a system that works for you. there are many threads on this topic and photos of pens that show what different colors can do to a blank by back painting with different colors. It is like getting new blanks. good luck.

howsitwork

Hmm thanks for the tips ! Must try it as the white acrylic blank I turned had a distinct gold tinge visible but didn't much like that blank anyway.

TonyL

Just remember, even after painting all (which I do), there is still a chance that you will see the rifling marks caused by the drill - especially if the kit calls for a thin wall.
Unless, I am making a custom pen (kitless), I only select blanks that will hide the rifling marks caused by the drill. You can drill and mandrel to sanding the inside of the barrel. However, that may change the inside diameter of the barrel which will cause the hardware to fit loosely.

If I am unsure about the transparency of a blank, I first drill the blank (or use a cut-off from the blank) with the recommended drill, then without a tube or bushings inserted, I turn the blank about 80% down to final dimensions and profile (narrow ends where the h/w meets the blank are often vulnerable to seeing what is inside the barrel.)

I then slide he bare brass tube inside the barrel - make sure there's plenty of light on what you are looking at; you will quickly see if painting with help hide the tube. Remember, not to over tighten the tubeless blank between your centers and that your tools are verb sharp. You don't want to crack the blank or chip the end-holes. This saved meh much aggravation, and now I have a good list of non-wood blanks that I enjoy turning without seeing the inside of the barrel/tube.

You will find what works for you.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here are some links to reverse painting that may be helpful:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f19/seeing-believing-reverse-painting-151785

Seeing is believing.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/painting-tubes-vs-blanks-152461/#post1959325

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/reverse-painting-different-effects-132612/

DrD

Since I am also a model railroader, I use plastic "safe" model rr paint and a q-tip to paint the insides of all my acrylic blanks - usually black.

Charlie_W

After I paint the brass tubes, (spray can) and they are dry to touch, I place them on a coat hanger wire support in a toaster oven at about 150/175 degrees for a while to help the paint cure before gluing.
Often I paint both the blank and tube. Just make sure your drilled hole will accommodate paint times 2 plus leave room for glue.
I usually drill 0.010" larger than tube. Different paint application will come into play as well as wall thickness of blank when turned to size.
Another tip: use a flat file and slightly round/bevel the ends of the tube. A tube with a sharp edge can actually scrape the paint off the inside of your blank during insertion.

Woodchipper

I cheated and bought some white tubes that will fit Slimline kits. Haven't used them but just in case I need them.
Penturning is a constant learning experience. This forum makes it much easier!

Top Bottom