Acrylic, everywhere acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

This little guy is a pearl white Cigar kit with Berea Cranberry and Mandarin Orange Flecked acrylic body, 24 fine glitter filled 1/8" holes in a spiral pattern, a wedge of guitar pick guard material separating the colors, and topped off with a 12ss Swarovski rhinestone on the clip.

Think I’m going a little nuts with this stuff...too many embellishments?
Acrylic38a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkirkb94

I don't think you have too many embellishments Ed. There is someone who will really like them. I like your rhinestone addition. Is this the first you have done? I don't remember seeing any on your pens. I've found that the women like these. The cigar clips lend well to using them. I also like how you have been using the glitter recently! Seeing you use all this stuff encourages me to try some experimentation again. It's like being a new turner again! I've noticed how I have gotten away from it[:(] Keep at it! Kirk[8D]

tipusnr

I just want to know what you're going to do next! Not many penmakers can put together this many elements without it looking like the scarecrow from an Iowa cormfield but you've got a real sense of balance and proportion. Great job!!

YoYoSpin

Glad you like the pen. Here's a quick inlay how to. Hope it helps:

To develop a uniform pattern of holes in your turning, you’ll need a indexing wheel (my Oneway has 24 index points) and some way to drill a shallow hole in the same location each time, as the piece is rotated...I’m using Oneway’s Drill Wizard http://www.oneway.on.ca/workshop/drill_wizard.htm

After turning, but before sanding, set your lathe's index to position one and drill a hole about 1/32†deep in your piece. I’ve used a 1/8†drill bit in this example. Fill the hole with fine glitter. I’m using Createx Iridescent super fine glitter http://www.dixieart.com/Createx_Specialty_Colors_and_Glitter.html, but you could use crushed stone, powdered metal or any other fine powder-like material. Once the hole is filled, very carefully apply a small drop of thin CA (instant glue) on the edge of the hole. The thin CA should spread though the fill material in the hole via it’s capillary action. Then a short squirt of accelerator to set up the glue. Re-index the lathe to the next drill position and repeat the process. The pen in this photo has four rows of spiral holes, so the indexing is 1-7-13-19 on a 24 point wheel. After all the holes have been filled, turn on the lathe and dry sand at about 120 grit to remove all the excess fill material and glue, then finish sand as you normally would.
Acrylic40a.jpg

woodpens

Thanks for the tutorial, Ed. I should be able to use my pool cue inlay machine to do something similar. It has an index with 24 points. I'll just need to make a template with a straight line of evenly spaced holes to guide the pantograph. You got me thinking... [:)]

jkirkb94

Thanks from me also for the tutorial! This is one of the biggest reasons that I joined IAP. I am so grateful how we help each other. (Good idea for another poll?[:I] "What was the reason you joined IAP?") Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom