Acrylic blank weirdness

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

These are two pieces of the same blank. Both ends are from the same cut. But the end on the left has small "pits" or voids in it. I've never seen this before. Any ideas what caused this?

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Looks like heat caused by friction; how did you make the cut? If it was a saw, maybe there was pitch build up on one side of the blade which caused it to rub more than the other side.

qquake

I used my bandsaw as usual. They weren't there after cutting. It must have been heat from drilling. But why would it do it to one and not the other?

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 182

keithbyrd

I have never seen that. For some reason I'm guessing there were a lot of small bubbles I that area - you happened to cut just at the edge of the bubbles leaving one side clear. Do you have enough blank to cut 1/16-1/8 off? I bet they will disappear. I know that doesn't explain the weirdness but hopefully the blank is salvageable.

mick

Is that one of the blanks with the mesh embedded in it? If so it looks as if a section of the ribbon segments happened to have a fold at that spot... weird! If not I don't have a clue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

qquake

Is that one of the blanks with the mesh embedded in it? If so it looks as if a section of the ribbon segments happened to have a fold at that spot... weird! If not I don't have a clue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Nope, no mesh. Just an AA blank, as far as I know.

Top Bottom