Across the pond

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom.1946

Hi. Thanks for letting me join . Letting you know that I am from Northern Ireland.
I have just started to learn pen making however I don't have my own lathe however I go to a club that has a few lathes on a first come basis.
I have started to enjoy the hobby but having to get help, I have only cut two blank, drilled centres and glued in the inserts.
However I have two questions
1. On a slimline pens the Central band I have seen on kits is either chrome or a gold finish. Can you get various bands separately
From the kits?
2. I noticed on the photos section a rifle pen and was wondering if that is only available in America as I have not seen it here.
I was looking at clips locally and can only see three types. As I was wanting to make one for someone who is a freemason is there
A clip available? The only pen I have seen made locally is made from two cases of a 302 rifle...

Looking forward to any replies and help.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Exotic Blanks have them here:

Woodturningsz.com has them:

amazon has them:
Others have them also. I think Pennstateindustries and eBay have them also.

Bats

Welcome to the party - bar's over in the corner. Help yourself!

1. On a slimline pens the Central band I have seen on kits is either chrome or a gold finish. Can you get various bands separately
From the kits?
I've seen one or two vendors that occasionally sell bands separately (although I can't seem to dig them up at the moment, aside from Exotic Blanks, who only offer the fatter "comfort" sized band for slimlines), but usually you either get what comes with the kit, or, if you want a wood band, you can make your own - I tend to make a lot of mine out of ebony. It's basically like turning a very, very short pen on a stubby little length of tube.

That said, when it comes to kits, you're definitely not limited to chrome and gold. Even if you stick to slimlines, you can find them in a dozen or more platings, and there are a whole range of stylistic variants ("fancy" slimlines, streamlines, comfort, etc) that subtly (or not so subtly) differ in the design of the nib/finial/band/clip.

I was looking at clips locally and can only see three types. As I was wanting to make one for someone who is a freemason is there
A clip available? The only pen I have seen made locally is made from two cases of a 302 rifle...
I can't help you with local sources, being on the wrong side of the pond, but over here you can find a masonic clip at WoodPenPro, if you can stomach the shipping.

Alan Morrison

Tom, a welcome to the forum from Norn Iron as well.
Most UK suppliers will have slimlines in copper, black chrome, gun metal, and silver as well as chrome and gold. I have a few slimline centre bands as I don't use them, preferring to make my own, or use streamline kits instead.
You are welcome to mine if you are not too far away ( Co. Down )
Alan

howsitwork

Welcome from Yorkshire !

I got some masonic pen clips via ebay and they came from a UK supplier, just can't recall who at the moment. Might have been Vince up at Newcastle?

The centre bands come in all shapes and sizes , or as said you can make your own. I have seen chrome, gun metal, rose gold and gold but only gold and chrome as separate items so might need to get them in with a kit.

Now Northern Ireland and Ireland have a thriving club scene ( in usual times) so ask around .

Tom.1946

Most UK suppliers will have slimlines in copper, black chrome, gun metal, and silver as well as chrome and gold. I have a few slimline centre bands as I don't use them, preferring to make my own, or use streamline kits instead.
Alan
As stated no lathe but belong to a club with 4.
Haven't used a lathe since school and that was a metal lathe. I have 2 pens cut, drilled and inserts glued in. Not back till next week and I think that the guy who's teaching me is going to start me on a blank piece of wood till I get used to the tools and turning.
Have you any photos of your pens???
Tom

Tom.1946

Alan

Welcome Tom.
Thanks very much Jim

Tom.1946

Alan
I meant to ask where abouts in co. Down are you????

Top Bottom