Acme threaded rod runout for threading machine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I'm building a wood threading machine (sort of like the one written up in the 'Resources' section) and I'm using an acme 3/4" x 10 tpi threaded rod (from Lowe's) connected to a spindle adapter (from PSI) connected to a collet chuck to hold the work and advance it into the cutting tool. The threaded rod I got isn't completely straight so there is an unacceptable amount of wobble (maybe 10 thou or so, just guessing but big enough to be clearly visible) at the collet. So I ordered a piece of 'precision acme threaded drive rod', thinking that would be straighter (this was from McMaster-Carr), but there's something about it that isn't working -- the spindle adapter won't thread onto the end, nor will it thread into the guide bushings I made. So I measure the precision rod and the thread pitch is correct (10 tpi) but the overall diameter is slightly more than .75 inches (whereas the cheap acme rod is slightly less than 0.75 inches. I assumed that since the expensive rod is sold as an acme thread that the thread geometry is the same, but I don't know enough about machining and threads to really know.

It seems like I have a couple options: 1) bang on the cheap rod with a hammer to see if I can straighten it enough to be functional and accurate 2) try to machine down the diameter of my precision rod on the metal lathe and see if the problem really is just that it is just slightly too large in overall diameter. 3) Go back to Lowe's or HD with a good straightedge and try to find a straight piece of threaded rod. Any bright ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Eldeen

So part of your problem maybe the the threaded rod from lowes would be national coarse thread not acme thread. Though the threads per inch are the same the shape and angle of the thread is not. Acme rod is a precision rod and requires an acme nut that matches it. Hope that helps.

TG Design

I made one last March. I used two nuts (about 4" between them) to help stabilize the rod as I rotate it into the dremel bit. Here's a link to the post in case you did not run across it.

Pm me, I'm happy to answer any questions.

Post pictures once you have it working!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

chartle

So part of your problem maybe the the threaded rod from lowes would be national coarse thread not acme thread. Though the threads per inch are the same the shape and angle of the thread is not. Acme rod is a precision rod and requires an acme nut that matches it. Hope that helps.
I think this
But I'm confused on what you have.

The cheap threaded rod from lowes is not Acme thread and the spindle adapter is also not acme thread so of course they fit together. This is an Acme thread. There is also a chart that shows that standard acme threads for 3/4" are 6 tpi.

FGarbrecht

Yeah, the acme precision rod is the problem. I had assumed that the cheap rod from Lowe's and the spindle adapter were acme threaded, and I was wrong, they are not. So to solve my problem I need to find a piece of straight standard threaded rod I guess. Anyone need a nice piece of acme rod?

chartle

Yeah, the acme precision rod is the problem. I had assumed that the cheap rod from Lowe's and the spindle adapter were acme threaded, and I was wrong, they are not. So to solve my problem I need to find a piece of straight standard threaded rod I guess. Anyone need a nice piece of acme rod?
or an acme to NC thread adapter. My just 10 seconds of searching so far found nothing. :(

chartle

Also try poking around stuff like this. There are metric lead screws used in cnc like machines that have pretty much off the shelf parts to do all of this kind of stuff. I bought parts for a laser rotary jig and also had to attach a 3 jaw chuck to a shaft.

Top Bottom