Acceptable tolerances for matching taps and drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I'm trying to get my head around how close the tolerances should be when selecting drill bits for specific taps. To be specific, I want to make a FP section to accept a Bock feed housing, so I have to use the Bock specific tap for the interior section threads, which is M6.4 x .6. The optimal bit should be 5.8 mm (6.4 minus 0.6), which is 0.2283 inches. Should I just buy a 5.8 mm bit or is it acceptable to build in a little slop, and if so, how much slop is OK and still get a nice fit? For example, an "A" bit is +0.0057 oversize, a 7/32" bit is -0.0096" undersize, and a 15/64" bit would make a +0.0061 oversized hole. I'm not a machinist so I don't have a feel for these tolerances, but I also don't want to buy every drill bit known to man and drill a zillion experimental blanks to find out. Any thoughts appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

When it comes to metric taps if you need to buy a bit to use it get the metric ones. So get a 5.8 and a 5.9 for one size bigger hole. The 0.1mm is close to .004" so each step is predictable. If you already have sets of letter, number and fractional bit play with them. Those bits from Victor are under a couple bucks each so you'll need to get a few items to reach their minimum. If you have a machining tool supplier near you you can just go get them for a little more each. https://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/HS-Jobber-Drills-Metric/1170.html

eharri446

According to the people at Beaufort Ink, the Bock #6 requires a 5.9mm drill bit. It seems that there is a small bump that will not fit into a 5.8MM hole.

Top Bottom