AARGH!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davidrei

davidrei

Never use old CA Glue! I'm making "Harry Potter" wands for Christmas presents. While doing the final glue up, the old CA glue set before I could get the "blade" all the way in the handle. Any ideas on how to either fix, it or at least cover-up this gap?

20071115224235_wand1.jpg

2007111522448_wand2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughbie

maybe some small leather braid wrapped around the groove. you can pick up leather shoe strings anywhere.....then add CA to tie it all together? that would even be in keeping with earthy beliefs as well
just one opinion

davidrei

I doubt debonder would work, the tenon is pretty long, at least half way through the handle, so there's a lot of glued surface deep in the handle. Also,I didn't use a brass tube, so the glue is joining the 2 pieces of wood directly.

joseph10s

Dave,
It might be a little work (to get everything aligned properly), but you could cut the "blade" off at the handle, re-drill the handle, cut the extra bit off the "blade" and drill that out. Then just glue (yellow wood glue this time) the handle, a dowel, and "blade" together. I wouldn't image that the dill bit would have to be that large or deep. The wand looks great by the way. good luck!

kirkfranks

I really like the leather braid idea. Turn that spot into a "design element."
I think you could even leave the ends about 6" long like a tassel.
Let us know what you end up with.

THarvey

Personally, I think the gap looks really cool.

Could you chuck the wand in your lathe and turn down the excess glue bead and soften the corners?

Another idea is to use a leather loop tied at the gap to design a wrist strap.

davidrei

Could you chuck the wand in your lathe...

Now that's a good question. I have no idea how I could do that without either ripping up the wood or having it horribly misaligned.

I'm liking the idea of adding a leather wrap with tassels, but I need to look into how to tie it so it looks good and won't unravel. I'm also considering wrapping it with gold colored thread & sealing it with CA (new bottle this time). I'm just wondering if I can fill the gap with a smooth transition from blade to handle and polish the CA so it looks purty.

airrat

Use a braided rope of some kind or the leather. I think that will add a personal touch.

Not sure how wide the gap is but the crushed turquoise would be good too. You just have to find a way to not go overboard.

make a ring of silver with PMC, cut it in half and glue it back together on the wand.

just throwing out ideas.

ahoiberg

i like the look of the gap there. if you have a small enough chisel, you could just scrape out that ca glue and call it good...

Top Bottom