A whole new material and taking credit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

i have found an old product, and have developed it into a new product for pen turners and was wondering if there is any way to claim a name for it (like the beall buff system) only i would hope that the term would catch on and be used by all

And my real question is would the members of this association credit me with the first use of this material in pen making or a founder of it and allow the name i have chosen to be the name of material in a pen?

Pictures will be posted as soon as possible / along with how it was made

P.S. I do not intend to sell this material as it is certanly availible to everyone/ i just want to know if i name it will the association use the term i have created instead of the old product name

Thank you Adam Gill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Call it what you want,let me see what you are talking about!
(please)[:p]

G

I don't know if it is a true story or not but look up the derivation of the word "QUIZ"

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Whether it be a new product or an an old one with a different name and packaging, whether you are selling it or giving it away, YOU will have to take the risk of putting it out to your targeted market and having it accepted. The emphasis is on the word "YOU" because taking that risk is your responsibility, not ours (the customers or users), and there are no guarantees. If it is a good product people will use it, if it isn't they won't. It's as simple as that.

As far as anyone remembering something with your name attached to it, that will happen only when you are already a name that everyone in your targeted group (us?) recognizes.

If you really want people to know a product as yours, you will have to package it and sell it with your name on the label. Only then will it become "Adam's Finishing Wax", and not just "beeswax", to use an example. If it is a good product at a reasonable price people will buy it and you will be remembered every time they open the can or they reorder; if it isn't they won't. It's that simple.

C_Ludwigsen

I used to live in Nevada. Just up the street from a dam named Hoover -or- Boulder, depending on who you ask. Either way, it is still one really big cork. So make sure your idea is a success before you are too eager to have your name attached to it. Remember also, a Mulligan is only a good thing to the guy that just screwed up a shot.

Chuck

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I agree with DCBLuesman... the more I look around the more I find out that there is very little in woodworking or art that is truly unique or original... most of it has been done before in some way or another..
Share your ideas, take solice in the fact that if they are good ideas that the members of the group will think highly of you... and if they are not good ideas the members will not bash your brains in... LOL..
We all like recognition... HELL that is why I post pictures of my work... but that is not primarily what we are here for...
I for one come here to learn from some of the better pen turners out there... and I think I have... and with that I wish to say THANK YOU....

Adam

As it turns out my dad actually came up with the name adamosa burl me being Adam A few days ago my dad took me to an auction and i bought a huge amount of exotic woods and with it came this mammoth sheet of particle boared and i thought to my self on the ride home why not turn that stuff it would be a challenge and might look kind of cool!!! so any how i did and it doesn't look to bad Every one should try
What you do is get a half inch thick sheet of the stuff cut it into 10" by 2 inch wide strips sad one side rip the thing in half and glue with the glue of your choice basiclly make a pen blank take extra careful when Drilling as it is brittle and even more caution when turning i would recomend using a narrow parting tool to get rid of the chance of a grab and tear out. Also staining it brown as not all of the fibers will take dye and you will get very nice streaks is a good idea. So Thats What my dad calls "adamosa burl" you can call it what you would like but it is a new idea for material and its cheap as dirt
I figured a name for it would be ok because like Dakota Burl being Crush sun flower seeds Particle Plywood seems very boring for a name of a material and Adamosa Burl makes it sound more interesting and real

But please try it i'll Have a picture coming soon in the show off your work section of my turning and sorry for the confusion

Sincerely,

Adam Gill

paleydp

Sorry, but this is not a new idea. Got some "confetti wood" a couple of months back, which was simply someone else's made-up name for old particle board (it had a more interesting chip pattern than current pb), and sometime in the last 6 months or so, I recall an article in one of the woodworking mags about woodworkers turning things from layers of a new kind of particle board. If I can find the magazine, I'll post the info.

Adam

i must apologize for i am 17 and very new at turning and even newer to this organization and i had no idea that any one else had previously attempted using plywood or any of the sort

Adam

Tom McMillan

Hey Adam---Checking out your album---you're doing some fine work---and I for one, will look forward to your Adamosa burl pen---may have to try some of that myself. Keep at it---you've got a fine start on penmaking!!!!

timdaleiden

Adam,

I was kind of waiting to see what you were talking about. I imagine it looks pretty nice if you can keep it from chipping out. Thin CA would probably toughen it up a bit once you get near the final diameter.

As for finding original materials for penturning, keep trying. You may have a young enough mind to look where others have overlooked. There are some pretty imaginative people out there though. You would not believe some of the things people have tried.

Arizona Silhouette actually sells stabilized denim. Then there are those that have used Oosik...yuck. The list goes on and on, but there is always room for more.

BTW, did I mention I like your guitar pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom