A very newbie from Pa.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

Hello all,
I am a very newbie, I am new to working with a Lathe and have never even TRIED to turn a pen. I am looking for advise for a new Lathe the one I had, it no longer works, was as old as the hills themselves. I read on a diff. thread that the HF 34706 is a pretty good one, before I joined here I was looking at the Grizzly G0624, I would appreciate any and all comments from you all on these two Lathes. I would also like to know what is the most "forgiving" material is for my first turnings? right now the tools I have are a table saw, compound miter saw, several drills, and many diff. type sanders. I will have to get a new bench grinder or sharpener for chisels, So I am looking for recommendations for them also. When it comes to Chisels the set I had got rusty when the pipe broke in my basement/workshop, so again what do you all suggest I get to start out with? This is more or less like building a new shop for turning pens, as I said I have never even tried to turn one and my experience working with a Lathe is kinda limited but I am ready willing and ,hopefully, able. You can email me at lshreck@hotmail.com for anything just PLEASE put Pen Turning in the subject line so I know it is coming from someone on here. Thanks for any help you all can offer. Len Shreck in central Pa.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Welcome, Len.

I don't have any experience with either the HF or Grizzly lathes, but whatever you get should depend on what you plan to do with it. Do you expect to focus just on pens or other small turnings? Perhaps you'll want to do bowls or platters? I would reccommend a variable speed lathe with a good high end (3000 or higher) RPM if you can afford it.

I'd suggest Maple as forgiving material to start with.

Finally, are your chisels too far gone to clean them up?

-Barry

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Len.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Len Shreck

Thanks Cindylee and the rest of you for the warm welcomes. If only it was that warm outside I would be happier. LOL Len Shreck

mrrichieboy

Len: Welcome to IAP, I also just joined, but have been turning for awhile.

I can talk to you about Grizzly products...I have a Grizzly G0462 (2hp, 16" swing, swivel head, with 43" between centers. I bought it a year ago. It's not a powermatic, but I love it. I had a Grizzly mini-lathe that I picked up used prior to my current unit but it was terribly under-powered (1/4HP) and the variable speed control did not work Very well. The 1/2hp motor on the G0624 should be just fine as you are starting out, but if you're anything like the rest of us, after awile, you will want a bigger and more powerful unit as your skills and projects expand.

I also have a Grizzly 14" Band saw, a combination 6" belt - 9" Disc sander, and a Grizzly Floor Stand Drill Press. I've been very pleased with Grizzly tools for years, and have rarely had anything go wrong with them. I did have a part go bad on my lathe recently...it was still under warranty and a call to them had the replacement part to me in 4 days, no questions. Customer Service has always been great.

Good luck---Rich

Good luck.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Len - even though we have corresponded by email already! Looking forward to seeing some pens from you. If we can help in any way, please ask. Great forum here with some great people!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Len,

Welcome to the IAP. Where in PA are you? I live just south of Williamsport. Maybe we can get together and talk lathe "stuff". Maybe I can help you to skip a few of the innumerable mistakes I have made. PM me if you like.

Top Bottom