A trio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Here is 3 pens I made using once again everyday items. This happens to be double weave boat rope and got it in colors They all have the white and red tracers running through them so I tried to mimic that detail in the cap using acrylic sheets and casting the main body. As I mentioned before I am not a color resin caster so I got as close to color as I could with what I had. The cuts in the cap are at 53 degrees. I tried 60 but it stretched it just a fair too much and if I did not center in cap portion got turned off. The kit is a Spring Blossom rollerball. Thanks for looking and again any comments or questions always welcomed. If you want to pick them apart too go ahead. They are what they are. Just another project that I wanted to share so maybe it will spark interest in others to try. As I said not something you see everyday but readily available for use. Working on 5 more pens with more of the same type materials, everyday stuff.
Copy of IMGP0012.JPG
Copy of IMGP0013.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, I think the colour match is absolutely spot on for each of them. Unless we are measuring the angle from different ends, I'm glad you didn't manage the 60deg as I think it would have appeared steeper than the pattern in the rope.
Also, stop underselling yourself!!!! You are a skilled craftsman, but if you ever make a crappy piece, we'll let you know quick enough!! ;)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice. I like the colors, and the match is excellent. The pickguard/or whatever material you used is also great - a very clean appearance.

jttheclockman

John, I think the colour match is absolutely spot on for each of them. Unless we are measuring the angle from different ends, I'm glad you didn't manage the 60deg as I think it would have appeared steeper than the pattern in the rope.
Also, stop underselling yourself!!!! You are a skilled craftsman, but if you ever make a crappy piece, we'll let you know quick enough!! ;)
Have to hand it to you Skip, you are dead on about the angle. That was another reason I did not go that way. Have one made and it jumped right out at me for it did not come close to the angle of the tracers in the rope. That was a blue one. Then I tried to find a red and they came out more pinkish from what dyes I had. Then I put the question here and someone mentioned red liquid dyes and I remember I have poly resin dyes in deep colors that I use time to time and that mixed with the mica red to give it a little sparkle worked better than I thought. Glad I asked the question.

I want to thank everyone for the nice comments and glad you like them. Hope this is another idea that may get pursued by others and even expanded on.

Top Bottom