A Ring Thing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

It takes (me) more time to clean the glue from the core center than turn and finish the ring. . Enough is enough. Base plate wax YES!

Attachments

• CF527DCE-6F45-4D93-851A-A7A681BCF515.jpeg
    CF527DCE-6F45-4D93-851A-A7A681BCF515.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 90
  • E813B770-B059-4BF4-A649-14E60673DABB.jpeg
    E813B770-B059-4BF4-A649-14E60673DABB.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 89
  • CF8DDED9-E177-4383-9375-152BA0D4BCEC.jpeg
    CF8DDED9-E177-4383-9375-152BA0D4BCEC.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 0F771665-1052-4F4F-9E4F-45DF0A55542F.jpeg
    0F771665-1052-4F4F-9E4F-45DF0A55542F.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 91
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Working on a ring for SWMBO. However, the sales guy gave me the wrong size bushings; got large. Getting the right ones tomorrow morning. We have three grandsons, brothers, who are in baseball. The wood is from one of their old bats.
There are no mistakes in woodturning...only design modificatios.

WriteON

I made another today. Had to do 2x and do not like the way it came out. I HATE RINGS.... may all of them distort. I should say I hate translucent blanks

WriteON

So… made a Ring 2x. First one bombed. 2nd turned ok but not perfect and it did not fit right. Was loose on the receivers finger. I hate these things. I'm considering giving the ring components to my cousin. I'm not giving up. I'm simply quitting.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

IMO, ring turning isn't something that you can rush through or turn like a 10 minute bowl. To me...it takes time to glue, clean, turn, finish, etc. It requires patience. When I got my ring core, etc., my wife tried the ring gauge to make sure we got the right size. She has arthritis and her rings are a bit over size to go over the knuckles.

WriteON

IMO, ring turning isn't something that you can rush through or turn like a 10 minute bowl. To me...it takes time to glue, clean, turn, finish, etc. It requires patience. When I got my ring core, etc., my wife tried the ring gauge to make sure we got the right size. She has arthritis and her rings are a bit over size to go over the knuckles.
Also has to with the recipient feels the ring is too thick. I have a good ring track record. But the ones that fail annoy me. A lot of time wasted re-doin… especially as a freebie. I'm sticking to pool cue joint projectors, stoppers, handles, pens, shavers.. blah blah. I have the patience,skills for ring turning.. just do not love it. Bail time… at least for now.

Woodchipper

When I got the ring core and bushings, the fellow at WC warned me that he has cracked a bunch along the way. I feel fortunate that mine didn't crack. But that was only the first ring. No telling what will happen with others.

WriteON

When I got the ring core and bushings, the fellow at WC warned me that he has cracked a bunch along the way. I feel fortunate that mine didn't crack. But that was only the first ring. No telling what will happen with others.
What hurts is when someone did not love the ring.... Most did and do. I learned to use stabilized wood only. Learned real fast. It's not so much the fabrication... what makes it interesting for me is using a Taig lathe with a boring bar. That changes the action. I love the "making" of anything.
Ever give someone a pen and it's too this too that.... I ask for it back.

RunnerVince

The titanium ring cores from Craft Supplies USA help a lot with ring thickness, and they're much lighter as well for not a lot more money.

I've found the more time and care you put into boring the hole for the core, the better everything turns out down the line.

Lots of people love the expanding glue (Gorilla glue) for pens, but I've had horrible luck with it on rings. Superglue has worked way better, but I have learned to let them cure for a full 24 hours, even with accelerator spray.

I'm also with what others have said so far. I love the final product, but don't care for the journey getting there and the comparitively high number of mishaps vs. pens, spindles, and bowls. There's just so much work and so many things that can go wrong for what usually turns out to be less than two minutes of actual turning on the lathe.

Top Bottom