A note from your Chapt Pres

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

Greetings Greater Indy,

I hope this finds each of you doing well and in celebratory of Good Friday. My name is Matthew Heithoff (aka Redneckmedic @ IAP). I have appointed by the powers at large to represent you all as the Greater Indy Pen Turners Chapter President. I am excited and eager to roll our pending agenda for 2013. I suppose before get to all business I should tell you a bit about myself. I am a Firefighter Paramedic for the Indianapolis Fire Dept on my full days, and teach a variety of Emergency Medical Classes on my off days. I am a husband and then father of three daughters. I run a sizable year round garden and homestead chicken farm. Although I have many irons in the fire I also have lots of time to dedicate to research and logistics when I'm at the fire house. I am a self taught wood worker of about 15 years the last 4 or so I have dabbled in turning pens and such. Most of my experience is in small furniture and plate scrolling. As I told the folks at the last meeting I am probably the most mediocre wood worker you will ever meet. I didn't accept this position because of my expertise in the shop, rather as it is my ambition, eagerness, idealist nature, organizational skills, and desire to delegate.
As mentioned before we have a great planning committee assembled and will be working hard this spring to bring you some very energy packed events, both this summer and this fall.

Here are my goals for 2013.

· Create a Mission Statement for our Chapter
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]I believe if you don't know who you are, you can't know where you are going
· Create a Chapter Logo and Table top for events in the Midwest
· Host demo's at the meetings based on the weakness of the majority of our pen turners –taught by our members
· Create turners out of non-turning woodworkers at our meetings
· Create an annual "Give back" Program…. Pens for Soldiers is a great example done in the past

What I need from you… the membership:
· Where do you struggle in turning?
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Is it drilling the brass tube hole
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Finishing with CA
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Assembly
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Turning to the bushings
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Polishing
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]sharpening
· What "always wanted-never tried" project is on your bucket list?
· What non-turning skill would you like to see demoed?
· What are your skills outside of wood working?
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Are you a metal worker?
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]A graphic artist?
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]An excel or access master?
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]A BBQ Whiz?
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Do you have access to a large venue?
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Do you have a particular wood working skill you are proficient in?

For this chapter to success and live to its full potential we need to tap into the unknown resources from with-in. We are in the brainstorming phase right now, however look for a meeting in the early summer, that will be more of a Cookout/Pitch-In with a few demo's and a few Vendors, and then a turning meeting in the fall, with lots of demo's and lots of chances to turn, or teach a new pen turner to turn.

Please break the silence and become part of my brainstorming crew. I expect zero commitment from anyone that just wants to email me ideas. And will accept any willing mind that want to jump in with both feet.

I promise more ideas, details, dates, and enjoyment in future emails. As this is just my introduction to the membership.

Have a Great Easter Weekend and I look forward to corresponding with y'all soon.

~Be Courageous~

Matthew Heithoff
Redneckmedic - IAP
Redneckmedic1@gmail.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Matthew, it's good to see the energy and enthusiasm of new leadership for the chapter. I will be excited to see what you and the others of the leadership team come up with to rejuvenate and empower the meetings. I will do my best to be available for demos or discussions if you desire and will support you all in any way that you feel would be helpful. Thank you for your willingness to serve.
Wood Butcher
Bill

76winger

Good to see the new leadership stepping up to the plate and diving right in. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Top Bottom