Segmenting A new way to cut an old design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Trying a new jig attachment to cut bandsaw Celtic knots. What do you think?
IMG_1635.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You have done a fantastically accurate job on that jig !!!

(But ... dense as I am ... I don't quite get how it works to make a Celtic knot ... might come to me in time if I "think" long enough !! :) )

The result looks pretty nice, though !!

EDIT: . "Thinking" ... perhaps you use the jig for holding the blank securely and slide it along the miter guide as you cut. . Then, as necessary, rotate your blank and repeat for the other cuts. . Sorry ... my brain might be in weekend mode !

Last edited:

jttheclockman

My opinion not needed. Just my opinion. The old way is a way that is tried and true. but if you are having fun doing this go for it. Always looking for new ideas.

Last edited:

KenB259

My opinion not needed. Just my opinion. The old way is a way that is tried and true. but if you are having fun doing this go for it. Always looking for new ideas.

LOL, attachment was not designed to cut Celtic knots, but a light bulb went off while using it and I had to give it a shot. Nothing wrong with trying out new things.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have found that with every new design, more designs emerge; and with every new jig, even more designs emerge. Simply playing with the designs and jigs yields cool thoughts for the future.

I have recently gone back to a design thought that I contemplated several years ago (thanks Rherrell and skiprat... ;) ). Playing with it for 3-4 weeks, several jigs (some good, some not so good) later I have one basic concept and 10-15 variations. I'm out of the shop for a few weeks assisting my in-laws (both 94), so I'm comfortably back to paper, pencil, tracing paper, graph paper, patterns and templates to beef up the designs. This will be a fun 2-4 month journey.

Your jig is interesting and I also look forward to its product. But, having seen your work and precision over the past year, I suspect it will be well worth the wait - OR it will morph into another jig/design.

New jigs lead to new designs! Enjoy. 👍👏👍

magpens

@KenB259

I'm getting close to what I want to get out of this attachment, not quite there yet. I will say though, if I want a Celtic knot, done in a bandsaw, this will be my go to method.

Ken, can you please give us a quick rundown on how you use that jig to do Celtic knots. . Not asking for more pics ... just a few words, if you think that will suffice.

jttheclockman

LOL, attachment was not designed to cut Celtic knots, but a light bulb went off while using it and I had to give it a shot. Nothing wrong with trying out new things.

never said anything wrong with trying new things?? You of all people should know I am a sucker for new jigs and new designs. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. Now it probably is not what you wanted to hear but I gave you my opinion for what you said it was intended for. Now if you use the jig for something else and it leads to another new design then I will change my mind. But for me the old method used on a tablesaw or bandsaw works just great for me, for making Celtic knots. I am not a fan of thin Celtic knots but again that is me and me alone. Good luck with this jig an look forward to seeing some new designs developed from it.

Last edited:

KenB259

@KenB259

Ken, can you please give us a quick rundown on how you use that jig to do Celtic knots. . Not asking for more pics ... just a few words, if you think that will suffice.

The round part, with the nut glued into it, is the pivot point, tightened on a t track. Slide the L shape over it, whichever circle gives you the angle you like. Lay the pen blank in and pivot it into the blade. I also have a stop so I don't cut all the way through. Now I cut 90 percent of my knots on a table saw, so this won't be used much for knots. This was just a happy coincidence , that knots could emerge from this attachment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom