A New Laser Cut Segmented Pattern Derived From a Book Written in 1615

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Wines

Ken Wines

I'm in the process of developing some "new" patterns for the Jr Series for 2020. I found a book of leaded glass pattern that was originally published in 1615 and then republished in 1898. The title of the book is "A Booke of Svndry Dravghtes (Leaded Glafs)" authored by Walter Gedde. The text of the book is a little hard to read because of the changes of English language in the last 500 years. However, it is a treasure-trove of repeating leaded glass pattern drawings. The title roughly translates to "A Book of Various Drawings for Leaded Glass".

Before I waste a lot of time testing the validity of pattern on the 2 tube Jr Series, I like to try it out on the single tube Sierra sized hardware. The lower tube of the Jr and the Sierra tube are very similar in size. Anyway, here is the interlaced segmented pattern in walnut, maple and cherry on the Elegant Monarch hardware. There are 104 segments, none of which interlock. This blank was a bear to assemble.

If I decide to continue with production of the pattern it will be rescaled from a 6 column pattern to a 4 column pattern which will reduce the number of segment substantially.

IMG_5392.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very interesting and VERY well done, Ken !!! . It seems to be kind of a chain pattern.

Top Bottom