A hybrid experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I kept the swarf from drilling and the turnings from recent brass pens/pencil making. I mixed some Alumilite clear and slow and added some red color. Then I added the brass in about 50/50 by volume. I turned the blank and the result is attached in the form of a modified slimline with Rose Gold plating. Turning was a different experience since it did not turn like brass or polyurethane resin. I would be interested in opinions. The 50/50 was a pure guess, and if I had enough brass "powder" I could try different ratios, but alas I do not.

Attachments

• hybrid1.jpg
    hybrid1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 120
  • hybrid2.jpg
    hybrid2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 117
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lew

I like the idea and the material the blank is made from, but design of the pen itself doesn't emphasize the unique material. I would prefer something that breaks up the single line of the body of the pen, maybe a Sierra or Gatsby style. Just my opinion, but as I say I like the result of the alumilite and the brass.

Hippie3180

I kept the swarf from drilling and the turnings from recent brass pens/pencil making. I mixed some Alumilite clear and slow and added some red color. Then I added the brass in about 50/50 by volume. I turned the blank and the result is attached in the form of a modified slimline with Rose Gold plating. Turning was a different experience since it did not turn like brass or polyurethane resin. I would be interested in opinions. The 50/50 was a pure guess, and if I had enough brass "powder" I could try different ratios, but alas I do not.
I think you're on to something that you should try again. Perhaps more contrast to the brass would've been nice a dark blue or black, and as Lee said breaking up the long line of the body with something that had a center band. I think it's a solid start.

derekdd

I'd call it a success.

I agree with the others, using a different style would likely accentuate the uniqueness of the blank.

I love the creativity.

Hippie3180

Thanks to all for the constructive input with which I basically agree. For me, experimentation is one of the more enjoyable parts of pen making. So many options, and not enough time to pursue all of one's ideas. At least I won't get bored chasing them :).
You are exactly right, I feel like pen making is overall one big experiment. Have fun!

Top Bottom